Author Topic: Brain tanning hair on?  (Read 8916 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Brain tanning hair on?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:18 pm »
Thanks for that information mounter I never realized that bugs could get in them after modern tanning.  Very good to know. I'll keep a better eye on some of my furs now.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »
Seems to me my cousin has told me that he has misted mounts with some sort of spray before for bug preventive reasons.I gotta admit taxidermists see it all eventually.The good and the bad.In preperation before mounting to your door step and care afterwards too.
No offense felt over here.Just plain old reality talk.That's all.Thanks for your info.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline clewis

Re: Brain tanning hair on? SUCCESS!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:18:04 am »
Well I have a softened brain tanned hair on deer hide, well sort of ;) I didn’t take any pics of the process but checked the hide this morning and it’s all good minus some stiffness in the neck area. The next hide I do I’ll be sure to thin the neck a lot more before adding the brain solution. I’ll post a few pics after work tonight.

Clewis

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:03 am »
Cool....Congrats!!!I'd smoke it too later if I were you.If I remember right I used bale twine rope through the old lace holes from it in the frame making it into a tube.Dug a hole in the ground.Staked the hide around it and smoked it.Doing it this way I would'nt leave it unattended as fire and leather don't mix.Hate to see your hard work go up in flames.
Could smoke it like I pictured earlier in this post too with a skirt attached to the bottom of the tube.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed