Author Topic: Draw knife, need a good one.  (Read 6180 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Draw knife, need a good one.
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:23:16 pm »
Who makes a good 8 inch draw knife? I refuse to own a cabinet scraper, I prefer to scrape with a large knife or draw knife. I have a 14 inch Dixie something,cost me 50 dollars and needs sharpening about every 100 scrapes.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Draw knife, need a good one.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:51 pm »
I don't know but in the around the campfire section of this site, they are voting on if we should start a forging section on this site or not. If anyone has a opinion or interested in voting up or down go to around campfire section look for forging post.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:41:23 pm »
I have found some excellent draw knives at antique stores.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:37:30 pm by Swampman »

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:33 pm »
I have 3 “vintage” drawknives. A Greeley, a Witherby, and a Fulton. One I borrowed from my dad about 20 years ago, one I gave $25, and one I gave $50 for in antique stores. All are in excellent shape and hold an edge real well. I travel a little so when I have time I stop in antique stores along the way just in case I might stumble on one to good to pass up.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:10 pm »
I have some really good Stanley planes, Disston saws pre 50s I've found cheap here and there but I can never catch the draw knives.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:09:43 pm »
    I have had a few friends forge draw knives for me. None of them will hold an edge like the old ones I buy on  ebay. I loose track of how many bows I can make between sharpening. The knives themselves are easy to make but the tempering and heat treating I think requires the slow very controlled method for top quality.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
Try to find an old draw knife.   Like 100 years old.   They are better quality than the new ones.  You can find them at junk/antique stores,  auctions, ebay, flea markets, etc.  Look for a clean sharp edge and solid handles. 

Why the hatred for scrapers?   They are a very handy tool for bow making.   They can be frustrating when dull.  A sharp scraper will pull up big ribbons of wood.  I can't imagine making a bow without using a scraper.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:23:06 pm »
Osage Outlaw, When I started out as a painter I used a stinking scraper every day for God knows how long. I scraped cabinets and molding until I dreamed about it. If a work situation calls for it ill do it, but I hate using a scraper. A good draw knife or large straight edged knife will do the same thing on a bow or similar shaped wood.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:26:43 pm »
Osage Outlaw, When I started out as a painter I used a stinking scraper every day for God knows how long. I scraped cabinets and molding until I dreamed about it. If a work situation calls for it ill do it, but I hate using a scraper. A good draw knife or large straight edged knife will do the same thing on a bow or similar shaped wood.

Jw, are you talking about card scrapers  they are just a flat piece of metal about 2 1/2 X 5"   nothing like a putty knife.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »
What do you guys mean when you say cabinet scraper? Maybe I'm a moron. Like a Stanley 80.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:03:15 pm »
it's all about rolling the hook when you sharpen it
cut and paste into a search engine

cabinet scraper site:http://www.primitivearcher.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:25:34 pm »
John, you can make a good scraper with old saw blades or any good carbon steel.  A(2) good cheap scraper can be made with a cheap pair of scissors with the rivet removed. This will give you 2 scrapers.  The one I use mostly is from an industrial band saw, about 1 1/2"x6"x1/8". The 2 long sides are squared and flattened then their corners are rolled slightly by burnishing with a rounded screwdriver shank at about a 2 deg angle causing a slight hook. You'll know how well you did when you get a long, thin curl of wood off of your stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:21:19 pm »
Garlick (UK) makes a good set of scrapers for about $25.00 USD, 4 shapes.  They stay pretty sharp, and are versatile.  On the other hand, my Buck hunting knife works well, and doesn't cause much hand fatigue, but I've been using knive nearly 70 years.  But I am only working on my first self bow!
Haven't had much luck with draw knives and spoke shaves, still have to relearn how to use them.  Like the other guys said, flea markets, antique stores(more$), junk stores, maybe pawn shops and garage/estate sales.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:48 am »
I have 4 good drawkives, 2 new and 2 vintage, and have never used a drawknife as a scraper. I wouldn't do that to any cutting tool that I took the time to put a fine cutting edge on.

I wouldn't want to make a bow without a properly sharpened cabinet scraper. Heck I use them all the time... used one yesterday to refinish a hatchet handle.

Get a straight, rectangle shaped 'card' scraper, and a gooseneck scraper, and learn to sharpen them properly. I promise you'll have a fondness for them you never had for a lousy paint scraper. You can thank us later.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 04:32:42 am »
You may also find your drawknives stay sharper a lot longer too  ;)

And a whole set of scrapers is a lot cheaper than a drawknife  :OK
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer