Author Topic: 2017's deer  (Read 11251 times)

Offline DV IN MN

2017's deer
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:18:49 pm »
Happy with 2017. Been 3 years since I have shot one.

Offline DV IN MN

Re: 2017's deer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:10 pm »
Must be. Small photo small deer. Na deer was so big had to crop photo that small.  :)

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »
Try it again

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:47 pm »
Congratulations DV IN MN, I'd love to here the story.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:45 pm »
OK.
I take a week and hunt on our property in IL. (yes that's as big as they get in IL)HMMMM.  Nov 04-12 this year
Day one Saturday PM. NE wind was being predicted for the next 2 days. So we set up on the south side of the property on a couple of ridges. Son and I. I was in a saddle and he was on a ridge pinch. Did not see much for sign on the way in or activity during the sit. But these spots always produce good activity during a north wind. So confidence was high.
 Sunday AM. 8 AM large yote crosses to the north about 80 yards out 1 minute later doe moving from NE to SE brain said spooked by yote but better be on your toes. Yep 15 seconds behind very nice 8 runs through the shooting lane with things other than stopping on his mind. Keep scanning there should be more. Oh peripheral pics up a really nice buck 15 yards in front facing me. I thought if I move he will just bubble out at about 15 yards when he goes by. Nope girlfriend was to important runs right under me and I should have jumped on him might of at least made him break stride. Hour later a little six, could be the same one I shot trots through that I passed, an hour later a really nice 8. He comes up from the bottom of the ridge moving south on the west side of me. NE wind, he will be close enough when he passes the bush at about 17. Getting into position canting my bow dink. Top limb hits the hood of the arrow quiver I use. He didn't think much of that and stopped paused turned and walked away.
Monday hunted same area saw some young dear.
Tuesday West SW winds hunted a couple of areas but activity really dropped off.
Wednesday. NE to N wind. So back up to the ridge. Saw some young deer again, nothing close enough to tempt me. Now this is where I am a little miffed at myself. I don't like carrying my cell phone with but I do just for safety reasons. that and weather check. Well last year on the same day checking my phone weather. Best part not checking for the PM or even the next day but Friday and a deer walked in and pinned me nice deer to. So I am telling myself don't check don't look. Nothings around go ahead and check. Yep when I look up he is already at 12 yards and getting in the lane. He catches me dancing in the stand to get my bow and into position. Nice deer. 3 1/2 ish. Felt like doing a header out of the stand. Wednesday Evening no movement and had moved to west side of property with the wind switch to SE.
Thursday AM same wind same ridge on the west end different stand. 8 am ish. Nice 8 point moves through at about 22 ish yards, So I thought. I shoot low just under the front leg. UUGH. OK still early. Her crashing behind and a doe runs through. See a yote about 100 yards back nothing else behind this one.
OK now my family and I eat 2-3 deer a year. Self justification I guess. But I am starting to move out of trying (which I have not been successful by inch standards) to shoot a trophy and just really enjoy hunting. But it still comes down to putting meat in the freezer. But anyway
as I am sitting I look and see the deer in the photo moving my direction and I can tell he is going to come past me at about 15 yards. He read the script came right by where the deer pinned me last year in the stand. I grunt he stops I shoot he run he tip over. He ran about 60 yards stopped wobbled and that was that.  Same area I shot a deer 5 years ago. That one. Son and I got delayed due to car trouble. Got down there on a Friday afternoon. Got my son set up in a stand I went and put mine up was about 2:45 and about 4 I rattled. A young 8 Pt comes in goes behind me. If he gives me a chance I am going to shoot him. So he is behind and I grab the horns and tickle them while I am watching over my shoulder. he starts to move so I set the antlers up and as I am reaching for my bow I catch in my peripheral vision the photo attached. He comes by and spooked a little I thin he saw the shadow of the bow as I moved. he was east of me and son was starting to set. Anyway 17 yard shot perfect. That was my first with this selfbow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:48:37 pm »
Congrats and nice shooting!  That second buck is a bruiser.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:09:30 am »
Osage. Thanks. He is nice, don't think he was older than 3 1/2 though. And kind of like holding a fish. But he is probably my best yet.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:07:46 am »
Thanks for the story DV IN MN. I can't wait till next season. Those stories help. Love all the close encounters. Those are both nice deer.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:58 am »
Nice work/shooting and story on your bucks.I'd say that's a successful week of hunting in a nice area too I might add.It's always a blast during the hotter time of the rut.Congrats on your biggest to date.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 12:12:00 pm »
Nice shooting! Congratulations on a very successful hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »
A few pictures from the stands this fall. Maybe I should hunt closer to camp?
Day 2 pass, for now.

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 03:08:26 pm »
The view from the kill stand

Offline StickMark

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:04:46 pm »
Big deer. nice

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:04 am »
Nice deer and nice shot, great story. Congrats. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good