Author Topic: Frugal me  (Read 4172 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Frugal me
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:35:32 am »
I just hate to waste anything. I also don't have a lot of Osage around me that I'm aware of. I got a log given to me about 1 1/2 years ago. I split four staves off.

This stave has already had a slide split that I made a bend through handle with static tips. I love it plus it has a lot of character. Last night I got the other side split out and thought I think I can at least get a kids bow out of a belly split.  I use three screw drivers and a hammer and split off a small sliver I think I can make something from. It also pulled the small limb right out of knot.

If I don't screw up I think I can get three bows out of this crooked stave.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Frugal me
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:37:36 am »
PS the side split is the bow next to it.
Bjrogg

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:15 am »
Cool... frugal is the way to go  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
I can see a hunting weight bow in that top split.   You're not being frugal, you're just not being wasteful.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HorseApples

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:17 am »
I am interested to see how you deal with the knot/branch coming out of that belly split.

I have a belly split with an almost identical knot/branch. (I figured it was waste, but I started chasing a ring on it - I am frugal too -  just to see if I could get a kid's bow out of it. ) 
I think I can get a bow out of it, but just don't know what to do with a branch / knot like that. I know how to chase a ring around a knot hole but what do you do when the knot is not a hole, but more of a branch?

Note - it was really satisfying to peel the belly split off and see he branch come through the knot hole on the top stave nice and clean.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:23 am »
This is going to be real interesting to watch!  Even with my lack of experience, I see a very challenging project on the piece with the branch.  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »
Thought I had a plan but must have been to close to the heart. When I tried to chase ring I realized the belly split had back on one side of stave on one end and other side of stave on other end. If I get anything out of it it won't be your normal selfbow.
Bjrogg

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:34 pm »
That reminds me of Simson's Mom and Dad bows...

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:00:31 pm »
Good for you man. I was thinking to myself 'that must have been really rewarding pulling that branch out of the larger peice!' Then I read your later comment!  8)
Looking forward to seeing what you get out of those sticks!  :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 02:20:35 pm »
Some nice splits!
Mom seems to be ok, Dad looks a bit meager. But at least for a light enough of wood.
I like those short bendies
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:33 pm »
Way to go BJ! I know you'll do all that wood justice.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:45 pm »
Thought I had a plan but must have been to close to the heart. When I tried to chase ring I realized the belly split had back on one side of stave on one end and other side of stave on other end. If I get anything out of it it won't be your normal selfbow.
Bjrogg

Trying to figure out what ypu mean here...

But if a ring cant be chased on the back, chase one on the belly, then flip it and make the belly the back.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:44:55 am »
Good job BJ - always good to utilize all the Yellow wood You can  :OK Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:52:22 am »
Thanks everyone. This has been interesting. I did get the short bendy off the first side split.
The piece I split off belly was very strange. If you look at first picture you can see the very heart of tree and the end I'm holding has rings from other side of heart on bottom. I started belly split from other end with back to top like normal belly split. Somehow before I got to other end back of bow was where belly should have been. I wish I could have taken pictures but was out of storage again. I tried chasing ring a making sense of it thinking it must twist around heart but couldn't figure it out. Ended up with a very light kids bow with a violated back. Oh well the wood needed to be removed anyway. My grandson will have fun with it.
The second side split although very crooked and twisted looks like it should have a nice bow in it. I did some preliminary straightening on it last night. I'll try to get pictures of them all when done.
Bjrogg

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 06:13:20 am »
 It's always a gamble trying to get that "maybe" stave, but when it works out, it's awesome!