Author Topic: First Stave  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: First Stave
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 04:51:45 pm »
" It is twisted and bowed."  I'm not griping, but this stave is way better than most that I end up working.  The twist and warp are not minimal, but certainly moderate, and I almost always both heat temper the bellies, AND have minor corrections on every bow I make.  What I mean is, this is just barely not par for the course.  You will have some little problems inside problems to solve and learn on, but this isn't going to be too bad.

Carefully remove the bark and see what you have. Hickory is great stuff, so don't be intimidated.  Success is likely.

If it isn't degraded by bugs of fungus, pick out the best section as tall as the tip of your nose, give or take, longer if you have lots of inconvenient knots.  Place knots where they will give you the least trouble, mark out the handle area, establish preliminary fades, etc.   

Mark the peak of the crown all down the back, and rough out the limbs by taking down the point of the triangle so the belly flat side to side, and 90 degrees to the crown-line you marked.  Get the limbs down to a fairly consistent 3/4"-1" thick and start deciding how to straighten the stave; steam or dry heat.

Meanwhile, as PatM says, look for some nice straight little trees for the next round.  Do some cutting, splitting (or sawing in half, etc), sealing, sometimes clamping (to resist warping), and waiting.  Keep it dry and off the ground.  Big trees can be saved for later, and VERY small trees present lots of challenges.

Let us know how else we can help.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 07:41:29 pm »
YES !!! Definitely use this stave .... AND, go ahead a cut some more locust and hickory, because you will be addicted !!!

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the advice...👍
I will pick up a few tools soon.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 05:07:59 am »
Welcome to PA. There should be plenty of good wood down your way. I cut mine west of Trenton.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 06:00:20 am »
BrewerMo glad to see you picking up a stave. You can do it. I think it's much easier to learn and teach than knapping. You've been given good advice. I would strongly suggest to harvest more staves. It is truly amazing how many you. can go through when you get hooked on this. Just don't cut to many at once because it's a fair amount of work to prepare a stave for storage and you will learn from each one you cut and prepare. I like doing like Jim said and cut white woods when the sap is flowing. Then the Bark and cambium slip right off leaving a perfect back. I like removing Bark to keep bugs out and make storage neater but you have to seal ends and backs with some shellac or something. Much like knapping it has its own vocabulary and there are tons of you tube videos to help to learn it. Don't be afraid to post pictures and ask questions. I predict you'll look at your fifty acres of woods completely different from now on.
Good Luck you have a very worthy and obtainable goal. Can't wait to see you with a picture of that white tail and hear your hunting story. One warning all this stuff is addictive and leads to another addition but you have a great support group here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:41 am »
If your user name indicates that you live in Mo., then you should plan spending a few days with us at MoJam in July.  It's held in Marshall and this will be the 20th anniversary.  There are many people there to help you learn the art of bow making and get you started properly.  Your hickory stave looks like 90% of the hickory staves I have seen...slightly reflexed and a nice prop twist... it should make a nice bow.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...