Author Topic: water birch bark on?  (Read 933 times)

Offline trail walker

water birch bark on?
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:26 am »
Can you leave the bark on a water birch bow without any explosions? (--) I live in Utah and realized the canyon by my house is full of the stuff. And i happen to have a 57"in long 2" inch diameter sapling that been drying for a year ready to go.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: water birch bark on?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:09 am »
57 is too short for a 28" draw, but you didn't say that was a goal...

Don't know about the bark.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:22 am »
Birch inner bark is not of a suitable type to be left on.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:37 pm »
I think there are very few trees you want to leave the bark on while building a bow. There are tree barks that are appropriate for bow backing but they should be added later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline trail walker

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:12 pm »
OK, thanks guys i'll scrape it off. and Pat B i was feeling more like a 25 inch draw. I have been practicing with the plains style pinch grip   and a shorter draw.  It has taken a while but i think i have figured out how to do it, now i just need lots more practice.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:10 pm »
  High, Trailwalker.  I live in Utah, too, Davis County.

The (red) water birch is one I made  bow from, kind of before I actually started making "real" bows.  It's probably usable for light weight bows, but it is not the greatest stuff.  Pretty soft, hard to see the grain, and kind of brittle.  I would definitely not leave the bark on.

Contact me through PM if you need some wood. A lot of medium grade stuff sort of falls into my hands, stuff like elm and white mullberry.   I always have more than I can ruin!   :laugh: