Author Topic: Frugal me  (Read 4058 times)

Offline HorseApples

Re: Frugal me
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:36 am »
Hey BJ, favor to ask - can you post a close-up if the little bow where the branch/knot was, or explain how you worked around it?
I have a similar problem on a stave and I also deduced that I need to just cut it off. In the process of chasing a ring around the bump that remains, but I am just not sure what to do with that hard, dark, plastic-like wood that was the base of the branch. Do you just leave it be or bore it out?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 03:54:49 pm »
Hedgeapples I actually ended up shortening the bow and cutting them off. I think they would probably have made some hand shock on the tips of the yardstick. I did clean the cut off down to a ring and take picture. This one is tight and probably could be left most any length but would probably be in danger of getting knocked off.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »
Great work on those bj

Offline HorseApples

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 08:03:14 am »
Hedgeapples I actually ended up shortening the bow and cutting them off.

Bummer mine is right in the fade so I don't have that option. From the second pic, it looks like I am on the right track though. Seems like its just a matter of how proud you want it to be.

Thank you!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 09:33:43 am »
The wood around a knot like that is stronger than the wood on a clear area. The tree adds extra thickness to support the limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 05:54:45 pm »
Hedgeapples I actually ended up shortening the bow and cutting them off.

Bummer mine is right in the fade so I don't have that option. From the second pic, it looks like I am on the right track though. Seems like its just a matter of how proud you want it to be.

Thank you!

Actually that's probably the best place to have it hedgeapples. As long as it doesn't get in your way for hand or arrow.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise