Author Topic: long string tiller check  (Read 3488 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
long string tiller check
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:21 am »
Hello guys I'd appreciate some input on my progress with my latest effort. It's 59" Yew about 1.5" wide for most of the length has a stiff narrow handle.
The string is dangling a couple of inches and its pulling 55#@20". It's starting to take set past midlimb especially on the left (bowers knot end). I'm planning on removing wood near the fades (more on the left) and towards the tips. Any thoughts would be most helpful! Si  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: long string tiller check
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:13 am »
It's time to go to low brace at least but first the left limb is stiff on the outer 2/3. Get that bending better and leave the inner 1/3 for now. On a shorter string you may see a totally different profile.
 Once I get about 8" of tip movement and everything is OK I go to low brace. The sooner you get to brace the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:55:28 am »
Long strings are liars. Go from a good floor tiller to low brace.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sieddy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:32 am »
Thanks fellas!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
I second what Bryce said. Just use the long string to varify your floor tiller to make sure things are even, then get to low brace so you know what's really happening. Outer limbs are bending more than what the long string tells you.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 11:37:53 am »
Outer limbs are bending more than what the long string tells you.

I was trying to come up with a clear way of saying this. Thank you. If you keep this firmly in mind you can stay on the long string a bit longer. I like to stay on the long string a bit longer because I'm not strong enough to brace it earlier and I do my "floor tillering" on the tree. Even bend is the key. Work to get that as soon as possible. If you're young and strong enough do like Bryce said :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:46:17 am »
Shorten the string to get a 2" brace. The right side looks fair enough and the left needs to bend more mid limb and out. Fix that up before you brace it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »
Thanks again chaps. I'll get the left limb bending more, brace it and hopefully get some more pics up at the weekend.
  :)

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:21:34 am »
Hello again. I removed wood from mid to outers of the left limb and braced it at 2(ish)". Its Still pulling 55#@21" but has taken a little more set.
I'm thinking I need to scrape near the fade and from midlimb out on the right now. And possibly a bit more on the outer 3rd on the left also?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:50 am »
You are getting more set because the outer limbs are stiff(both) which is putting more stress on the inner limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »
Thanks Pat. It's interesting as the outers feel quite thin now and I've been worrying about taking too much off em. But it's clear from the picture they are too stiff. What about near the handle on the right?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »
Don't worry about the thickness, the bend is where proper tiller is.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 08:07:11 pm »
Near the handle on the right does look different, but the equivalent LH spot looks like it is bending too much to me.  Maybe get the outers working a bit more and take a photo while drawing by hand (use an assistant, a timer, or video it).  That might change the near-handle look a bit.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »
  It is bending too much in the left limb at 55#, you may need to drop it to 50# and even out your tiller before you go any further. The right limb looks good but it still has to get weaker to match the left limb.  That's one of the reasons you want to get the tiller evened out as early as possible to avoid coming in underweight. I would get the tiller even out at 50# on the long string before bracing.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:21 pm »
Thanks Pat. It's interesting as the outers feel quite thin now and I've been worrying about taking too much off em. But it's clear from the picture they are too stiff. What about near the handle on the right?
I absolutely relate. I’m working on a 60” bow off and on that the limbs seem ridiculously thin on and is still heavy. If you haven’t got a gizmo, it’s a very good tool to have in your box of you’re having a difficult time reading the bend on a particular stave. The time you take to make one will replace itself ten fold once you use it.