Author Topic: long string tiller check  (Read 3439 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: long string tiller check
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
And if you can, i recommend making the right limb the bottom limb since it needs to be a touch stiffer (ie: positive tiller).  Take it slow, scrape, look, look again, turn it and look again, repeat.  Don't pull it any further until tiller is right.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:27 pm »
The limbs will appear to be very thin along the edges because of the crown,  that little bit of crown along center adds quite a bit of stiffness.  The cross-section is not as thin as the edges make it appear.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:11 am »
Thanks for the additional input lads its really helpful. I will do some more work on it this weekend and get the tiller worked out. I don't mind dropping a bit of weight as to me 55# is a bit much for a target bow. Back to rasping, scraping, pulling and looking!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 04:55:02 am »
Bring it first in line / balance. Then, if you like reduce weight - go with long strokes and befin in the edges making facets.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline sieddy

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 05:48:07 am »
Thanks Simon. Will do!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sieddy

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:12:14 am »
Hi again I've done a bit more work on my stick and its starting to come around nicely now and I've still got quite a bit of weight to play with. Here's some more pics! 🙂

Offline sieddy

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:56 am »
Hi guys I've done quite a bit more work on my stick and I think I'm nearly there. I cut the built up handle area off to give the bow a little bit of flex in the middle and flipped the tips a touch to counteract the set. It's now pulling 45#@26" (which is as far as I think I"ll take this one)
Any more input on how to improve the tiller would be appreciated.
Thanks Si :)