Author Topic: longstring - How true is the bend?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline willie

longstring - How true is the bend?
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:03:23 pm »
Recently, some guys have mentioned the fact that a bow being tillered on a longstring does not show the true bend as if it was braced. I agree.

But does it matter much if we know this in advance, and limit how far we tiller out before bracing?
Bracing too soon was a mistake I made on a few staves.

I know some like to go right to a low brace and raise the brace slowly, but my question is to those that like using the long string.

How far out do you go on the longstring?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: longstring - How true is the bend?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:19:38 pm »
Willie, I usually get off the long string when the tips bend to about 8" or so and everything is looking good. With the tip moving to about 8" on the long string I can usually get to low brace without much trouble. Also, if I can't brace the bow yet I know I need to remove more wood first before bracing.
 The way I see it is with a loose long string the tips are pulling almost straight down. With a short string and the bow at low brace the string pulls the tips more inward which I feel gives a different visual reading than being pulled more straight down. This could be just the ramblings of my feeble old brain but it's how I've always done it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
I'm pretty much with PatB on this but I go to maybe 10-12 inches on the long string. Long being the shortest string I can get on it without bending the bow

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:24 pm »
You're right willie, it doesn't matter if you know this in advance, it's just something to keep in mind, and not to go to far. I do like Pat said, once the tips are moving far enough where I can get it braced, I brace it. There really is no advantage to staying on the long string longer than necessary,  other than your ability to string it.....maybe someone else has a good reason that I haven't thought of.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 01:50:00 pm »
We know that the long string makes the tips look stiffer. Does a longer long string make this worse?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 01:57:12 pm »
Yes, the greater the angle the worse.
Make the long string as short as possible, and use the short string (at low brace) as soon as possible.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:08:11 pm »
DC
is that 10-12 string nock travel? I think Pat B was talking about tip travel.
  Does a longer long string make this worse?
Yes, the greater the angle the worse.
Make the long string as short as possible, and use the short string (at low brace) as soon as possible.
so does a bow at a very low brace make the bend look different than a full brace

Offline simson

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:10:14 pm »
Yes, but only little difference
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:10:30 pm »
Willie, I think once you're at brace, low or regular the angles are about the same or at lease with very little difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 02:12:55 pm »
  I don't pay any attention to tip movement. I use a long string that is usually from about 3" to 6" loose on the bow. When I read target weight at about 23" I brace it. It reads almost the same at 23" braced as it did 23" on the long string. I pull it to full target weight on the long string every trip to the tiller tree once I get it pretty well evenly bending but when it is still very much over target weight. Tiller changes a little but easy enough to square away before hitting 28".

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 02:18:09 pm »
DC
is that 10-12 string nock travel? I think Pat B was talking about tip travel.

10-12 tip travel but if I was making a lighter bow(that I could string) I'd do it sooner.

so does a bow at a very low brace make the bend look different than a full brace
Good thought, the string tension would be higher on a low brace so I would guess yes but it's just a guess.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 02:20:23 pm »
There's very little of any difference between low brace and full brace because the direction the string is pulling on the limbs is the same. Once your string is slack, every inch longer is pulling the limbs more down and not toward each other.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »
You're probably right but a lower brace does pull harder.

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
There's very little of any difference between low brace and full brace because the direction the string is pulling on the limbs is the same. Once your string is slack, every inch longer is pulling the limbs more down and not toward each other.

Yep, exactly. Much more better explanation than mine!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
I only use tip movement as a reference. Usually at about 8" of tip movement the bow can be low braced at about 2" or so. If it is too stiff to brace I know I need to remove more wood first before bracing. And, remember this is just if both limbs are bending well and together. If there is a hinge I fix it first before bracing.