Author Topic: pinch grip  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Jackpineboyz

pinch grip
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:19 pm »
Hi, looking for any references that discuss the native american draw styles.  I'm looking for something that goes into some detail.  I'm having trouble finding more than a few paragraphs and maybe a picture or two.  A particular archer would be helpful to watch on some videos etc. that has actually developed this as a shooting style for hunting. 
I'm exploring this style just for a change of pace, and I am starting a sinew backed short bow that I would like to design for this style.

Offline TimBo

Re: pinch grip
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:23:53 pm »
I like this video.   

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45943.msg624652.html#msg624652

Paleo Planet has a thread on Native American Pinch Grips.  Also, try googling "tertiary grip bow".  The second result is American Indian Archery - Volume 4 - Page 138.  Go up a page and there is a diagram of releases.

I like the tertiary grip and am intending to make a hunting weight short bow or two this year.  It is fun to use that grip on my kids' bows, but I'm not sure how much weight I could use with it. 

I think Jim Hamm's Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans also has a section on grips and shooting.

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:40:53 pm »
I have the texts, looking for the next step or some advice beyond that.  The video was helpful, I've seen some of primitive tim's stuff before, but it was good to hear his thoughts. 
Thank you for the reference.

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:52 am »
timbo
I ordered Hamm's book.  I had a similar title by spotted eagle.  Thank's again for your response.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:18:39 pm »
No problem - I'm glad you liked the video.  I really like the Hamm book, especially the sections on arrows and strings.  Is American Indian Archery worth getting?

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 12:53:53 am »
Have a search for Archery library.
Have a look on the books of Edward Morse. The other books are also interesting.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »
If you plan,to use a pinch,or augmented pinch,with any significant weight,,you will also need to look into a change of style as well,,most likely..In my research,i think the style was more focused on the push of the bow,,than the drawing of the string....i also feel,,the Mediterranean style was used more than people think...Also,,it is often said,that the thumb draw,,can only be used,,with the arrow resting against the bow,,on the same side,,as the draw hand...I can assure you,,that this is not exactly true,,with a slight modification in the technique..