Author Topic: Antler thumb ring  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Aaron H

Antler thumb ring
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »
This is the first thumb ring I have tried my hand at.  It's Whitetail deer antler with a slight string ridge.  I polished it to 1200 grit, then burned in a dot pattern.  Haven't tried it yet, as I have no idea what I'm doing with a thumb release. I hope to learn a thing or two about this style shooting, Lord knows I could use some help when it comes to my groupings.  Thanks for looking.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Antler thumb ring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »
Looks great Aaron. The first one I made was PVC. It is a nice release but shooting off opposite side really messed me up
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:12 pm »
It looks really nice but I know nothing about thumb rings :D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:01 pm »
Me neither DC... ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:32:05 pm »
I know just enough to be dangerous. I watched that guy that makes the PVC bows make and use one. They make the string twist opposite way of fingers grip so you historically put arrows on opposite side of bow. You put thumb and pad of ring around string under arrow. You then wrap your index finger around tip of thumb. When you want to release you extended your index finger. Really works slick except the opposite side of the bow thing.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:19:22 pm »
Nice work A a ron.  Looks like you could also pick a banjo with that ring.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:13 am »
Looks really slick, very nice work. amazing for someone who knows nothing about thumb rings. What tools did you use? Can you shoot without pain? (Just that was difficult enough for me..)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:37:51 am by loon »

Offline khperkins

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:28:13 am »
Nice.Now I want to make some, even thoughI'd never use 'em. :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:35 am »
Thanks Bj, I watched a few you tube videos on how to use them, so now I am officially an expert!  ;)
 Thanks Clint, but music is definitely not my thing,  tried it, got no rhythm.
 Thanks loon, I have yet to shoot with the ring, so I don't know if it will pinch or not.  It will be interesting to find out. I used a bandsaw to slice off a chunk of antler at the base, then used a cordless drill to punch a hole in it.  Then it was just reducing it down slowly with a half round file and finish with sandpaper.
Thank you khperkins, that's half the fun for me also, just making the stuff.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:38:16 am »
Ah yes You tube. It's better than sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express. ;)
Bjrogg
I did shoot I quite a bit with the one I made when I first started shooting. I tried it with arrow on normal side but arrow liked to twist away from handle. It's really was a smooth release. Like I said I really don't know much about them either. I believe they where used on short horn bows a lot to avoid finger pinch.
Bjrogg

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 11:36:42 am »
Your are correct bj.   I have been exploring horn bows lately, this is why I decided to try a thumb ring

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 11:43:25 am »
If you've never shot with a thumb ring, you are in for an education. Totally different from a standard Mediterranean style shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:43:31 am »
James Parker made my first one from a Que ball. You did a good job with that one and wait till you see how far right your arrow shoots the first time you try it. I would suggest to take your first shots at 30 or 40 yards. It gives you more room to adjust your form to walk the arrow back to the center.
I made one from a Water Buffalo horn but James told me to be careful of rings made from horn or antlers. He said they will break when you aren't expecting it to.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »
Beautiful work Aaron.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 02:49:09 pm »
Looks pretty smooooove my friend. I think I know what you might need that for, down the road of course :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.