Author Topic: arrow bamboo (pseudosasa japonica) source?  (Read 6402 times)

Ky Headhunter

arrow bamboo (pseudosasa japonica) source?
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:40 pm »
Anyone know of a commercial source for poles/shafts of this particular bamboo in suitable diameter for arrows?

I'm starting a grove of this bamboo & hope to at least supplement my arrow supply with homegrown culms in a couple of years. In the meantime, I'd like to purchase shafts of the same species if possible. Have become enamored of the qualities possessed by bamboo/cane arrow material.

And yes, I'm taking steps to keep the new grove contained to my humble Kentucky estate, as I understand this bamboo is a fairly aggressive runner.

Offline markinengland

Re: arrow bamboo (pseudosasa japonica) source?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:16:13 pm »
Japanese Arrow Bamboo is a clumping runner. I planted mine in half rainbutts with the bootoms cut out to keep them in but others have told me they aren't difficult to keep in check. Just chop any runners you see. If you miss one they don't go far. You can get root barrier membrane and encircle and area. This will make sure it doesn't escape.
You may well find good deals on small plants on ebay.
The Hornbow/bamboo arrow forums every now and then talk about someone bringing back a whole load of Korean Bamboo shafts, but despite always saying I want some I have never seen any.
Some garden cane seems to be arrow bamboo. Look in a local garden centre and see what they have. I got a whole load a week or so ago that looks like it will make good arrows for very little money.
Mark in England

Ky Headhunter

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:31:28 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience with bamboo cultivation, Mark.  I really appreciate the tips. 

Since firsts posting this, I've read more on p. japonica, & several descriptions echo your experience with containment-  not especially difficult if you keep an eye on it.  I chose this particular bamboo over other arrow-worthy types because it's well suited to this climate, and has a long history of successful cultivation in the U.S.A. 

Have not found a supplier of culms from arrow bamboo, so I'll likely purchase Tonkin until my grove starts to produce.

Hope your grove provides you an abundance this summer!

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:27:45 pm »
Arrow boo grows best in a fairly moist environment, and needs rich soil. (The only reason I know this is because it was brought over to my native area, the pacific NW, by japanese immigrants) It is now practically everywhere!!! I can walk two minutes and get to a grove of maybe 1000+ shoots of arrow bamboo...And the best part is...I can cut as much as I want - the owners of the property said that it was a weed, and to "help yourself to it"...I've tried to transplant it, but with no luck...good fortune be with you on your endeaver!!
Derek