Author Topic: Our Northwest mascot (20.5"Obsidian Blade)  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Keenan

Our Northwest mascot (20.5"Obsidian Blade)
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:53 pm »
 From this huge chunk of rock to this awesome blade in just a matter of minutes by the true wizard of rock (Emory C). To see some more of this fun filled weekend see the (Life is good in the Northwest) thread. 
 We've decided to let this blade represent the primitives of the Northwest and send it on journeys to the northwest rendavous as our mascot. Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:06:09 pm by Keenan »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Our Northwest mascot (20.5"Obsidian Blade)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:40 pm »
That's awesome, Keenan. I'd like to get out there some time and see Emory Coons work some obsidian-he does some amazing work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:19:58 pm »
Thats a big un :) I like his hat ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »
 Hillbilly, I so agree, His work is excellent but watching in person especially something that big was a real treat.  He just roughed it out with his big boppers and told us to finish it. I'm almost half chicken to even touch it, ::)
  Dana, at 20 1/2 inches it would take on anything ;) And His hat definately fit's Him in more ways then one. He's a wizard with the rock for sure. Keenan

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »
 Hey Keenan  Is that the black and gray coonstriped stuff ? That is some good working rock and pretty too !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:56:43 pm »
I've seen some pics of some unbelievable points that Emory has made with that Oregon dolphite, too. Plus the T-birds and big tomahawks and lapidary stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:03:42 am »
Fishoonah, It is some of the same stuff, It's actually silver sheen. If broke in the same direction as the stripes it is brilliant silver sheen otherwise looks like stripes.
 Hillbilly. He showed us some blades at glass buttes that had shapes napped from the center of the blades,,,,,,,,,Incredible. :o He started at 5 yrs old and makes me have a little more grace with my nine yr old playing with the rock ;D

Offline Allen7

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:59:38 pm »
This was my first time at the Glass Buttes Knap-In and first time meeting these wonderful people.  Haven't met many other knappers.  Too busy practicing horseback archery and making primitive archery stuff.   I had an absolutely fantastic time and was pretty excited all weekend.   Got lots of tips.   It was really inspiring to watch Emory reduce that huge boulder into the big blade.   Unfortunately, the lizard skin boulder that I brought Emory was a wierd one.   It would not break predictably.  Still enjoyed watched him reduce it.   I have already made a few small points, including a gold sheen point, from the rock given to me.   My thanks to everyone there, for all your help and hospitality.   

Allen Minton

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:14:53 pm »
Allen, It was very nice meeting you as well. Those were some beautifull points that you made. Except that your much to critcal on yourself.  ;D  Guys this guy can napp a really nice point himself. Also watched a few clips from his camera of his horseback archery and that looks awesome. They were training some kids for the Olimpics and the way they were shooting would make me emberased to shoot from the ground. :o  Hey lets see some of those pics on the life is good up north thread.  Don't forget the naratives it's neat to see other peoples prespective.    Keenan