Author Topic: My copper tubing field points  (Read 1952 times)

Offline txdm

My copper tubing field points
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
Here is a quick look at what I've been using for 125GR field and target points made from 3/8" copper tubing:

This is not a new idea, but I thought I'd put my version up to suggest how to get 125 Grain weight, and to get some recent eyes on the concept.

How I make them:
  • Cut off 2" of 3/8" (OD) copper tubing. I prefer a hack saw, but you can use a tubing cutter.
  • Use flat and round files to de-burr the edges from cutting.
  • Using a vise, crimp 3/8"-1/2" of one end flat, and straighten it to parallel if needed while it's in the vise.
  • Remove the tubing and mark the shape of your point with a fine-point marker. A 90° point will be pretty strong.
  • Carefully grab along an edge mark using end-cut pliers (pictured below)
  • Gently-but-Firmly rap the pliers with a hammer on a vise or anvil until it crimps the edge together and cuts it off. If you are too aggressive you can damage your pliers or lose the arrow point when it goes flying.
  • Repeat the above step for the other edge.
  • Now you can file or grind some off to get the weight exact if desired
  • Taper arrow shaft down to 5/16" and glue into place with hot-glue

End-cut pliers:

If you want your tip to be permanently attached to the arrow, once it is installed you can run a tubing cutter around it a few times far enough to crimp/compress it, but not quite cut it. A dull cutter would work well... but be aware: it is there for good.

These work good in hay and foam. A new commercial 3d target might "eat" the point when you pull the arrow out.

I plan to eventually try one size larger tubing, which will require less end-tapering of the shaft and be a shorter point.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:09:55 pm by txdm »

Offline ksnow

Re: My copper tubing field points
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
I like that. Quick, simple and cost effective.  I could see that working well for small game also.

Thanks for sharing. Now I'm off to locate some copper tubing (or other metal tuning).

Kyle

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:52:14 pm »
Looks like a great and simple idea. One question I have is about the transition to the shaft when retrieving the arrow from a target. It seems it would catch on the edge. Would it make sense to fade the edge or choose either a larger size shaft so you could have a smooth transition?

Have a great weekend,

Phil

Offline txdm

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »
Phillipp, you are right, that little ledge does catch the target on removal. I think it will work best to file down a smooth transition in the copper where it meets the wood.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:12:25 pm by txdm »