Author Topic: Micro blades  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Micro blades
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:03:54 pm »
Came across the article below (add www to view)

It got me wondering about micro blades.  Here in New Mexico broadheads must be 7/8" wide with metal cutting edges.  I'd really like to hunt as primative as possible but stone points are out.

How effective do you think a bone point with metal micro blades could be?  I think I would feel a little more vindicated if I could go as primative as the law would allow.

https://i.imgur.com/DDPcaN0.png

https://w--.archaeology.org/news/6327-180205-alaska-hunter-projectiles
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline willie

Re: Micro blades
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:20:02 am »
Code: [Select]
https://elfshotgallery.blogspot.com/search/label/microblades

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:16 am »
why not just trade points?  It would be an authentic alternative that goes back hundreds of years.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:34:59 pm »
I have the same thought as Jeff.  And Colorado also has the "steel, 7/8", requirement.  Trade points in some form have been around since the Native Americans figured how how to work the pieces of metal recovered from the white man, probably close to 500 years.  When I get to that level, I will be looking for or making some points.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:07 pm »
I guess it's because trade points are too easy for me to make.  For proper sarisfaction I need to struggle, possibly get an ouchy or two so I can curse a bit  ;D. Maybe if I forge socketed points from bar stock I'd feel a little more satisfied, something that's on my list of skills to learn anyway. 
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 12:21:58 am »
LOL!  Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to develop and make trade points without the use of diamond cutting tools, using salvage steel, heat, hammers, anvils,  files, and stone sharpening devices!!  Lol!  At my age, the challenge is getting them made without the ouchies! >:D )-w( :-K!!
I'm not sure the bone points with micro edges would meet the "taste test" for a wildlife officer.  I teach Hunter Education in Colorado, and if there is a doubt, don't do it!  Make a couple of prototypes and take the to the legal section of the DOW or Fish and Game for an interpretation.  Get it in writing on state letterhead! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:05:16 pm »
James Parker used an antler tip with 5 stone micro blades around it(kind of like the old satellite heads) to punch through the shoulder of a doe and kill her.
Metal micro blades should be as effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
@dieselcheese, I have thought about doing the same thing as you in making a hybrid bone or antler point with obsidian or other sharp stone edges. It has not progressed further than an idea on my end either. Seeing the pictures of the recreations of the ancient points I am definitely inspired to try it, if only to put the arrow on the wall :).

I do however see the logic of Jeff and Hawkdancer on this as well. If you are going to hunt you don't want to be on the wrong side of the law....make some trade points and hang that arrow with the obsidian micro blades on the wall for decoration :)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:40:24 am »
Yeah, I definitely don't want to cross the law.  I should've figured that it wouldn't be so cut and dry as 7/8" wide and metal cutting edges.  I can see the point, too, as I don't want to inflict unnecessary pain on any critters should a point  fail to do its job properly.

I do have a couple of bone points cut out that I'm going to play with when I have some time,  mostly just see what kind of interesting points I cam come up with.  Probably  shoot them to destruction just to appease my curious mind.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
Pat beat me to it.I saw Jame's point and it was wicked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?