Author Topic: desperate times, desperate measures  (Read 10217 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: desperate times, desperate measures
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:30 pm »
Phooey, Shucks, Gosh darn, Gee whiz! And those are the nice comments >:D!  Nice try!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 06:07:12 am »
Aw drat.

Learned more than a few things, I bet, didn't you?

Indeed I did. Always do. No such thing as a failure, just another step towards something better.

It's funny how with making bows I always get the test first, then the lesson.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:54 am »
Splicing is easy; draw your pattern on  piece of paper, cut it out and glue it on your stave with white Elmer's lining up the pattern with a drawn center line on the billet, flatten the belly of your billet so it will run true through the bandsaw. I always have to add a handle piece after I flatten the belly for cutting the splice but that is no problem. 

I place my flattened billet on the bandsaw table and sight down it to see if I have the flattened belly cut so the billet will not be twisted on the glue-up. If I am trying to glue up to remove twist I look for the best position to accomplish this.

Cut just outside your lines and fit things together. Unless the stars are aligned you probably won't have a perfect fit. Hold your splice up to a light and look at where the impingement points are that are keeping it from sliding together and sand or file a little until everything fits, then glue up with three clamps. I put one clamp on the middle of the splice and adjust the billet center lines so they line up then finish clamping.

I am replacing a bad limb in this picture.

Here is the finished repair with the added handle piece. The initial bow was made from spliced billets, the darker wood is from the earlier splice.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:44:49 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline k-hat

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 09:00:21 am »
Eric, I think you may have meant to put this on a different thread.  ;D I will say I remember you posting this a while back elsewhere, and I've used it and it works very well!  Mine was even a very tricky splice on a thin osage billets (barely over an inch wide).  Worked like a charm. :OK

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:42 am »
It was a great effort... you almost made  it...  :OK
Eric, thanks for the post.  The splice was one thing I missed in the original thread and it seemed to really make a difference in the progression of the stave. 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:36 am »
Nice try bud that was a pretty gnarly stave.  Hope to see some pics of the damaged area.