Author Topic: bow help  (Read 1575 times)

Offline hicklife1989

bow help
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:54:04 pm »
hello yall wanting to get into bow making but still not sure what woods to use i have hickory trees in my area are all hickory trees great for bow making also have maples,dogwoods,crap loads of pines,oaks  i know pines wont work well but what about the others will all speices of maple and oak work i live on east coast dont want to invest time in a wood that is not good can someone please list some true bow woods and then maybe a list of woods that are decent for bows

Offline aaron

Re: bow help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:04:26 pm »
What state do you live in?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42:14 pm »
  Welcome to the site.

We all want to help, but I am going to suggest improving the spacing and punctuation on your post.  8)   A lot of us are old timers  )P(, or nearly, and need the help.  You'll get more responses.

Almost any hickory is good bow wood, some better than others.  Most maples are, too.  You only want to avoid silver maple and similar very soft, brittle species.  Elm is good, too, and there are probably a dozen others if you live where hickory grows.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 11:13:31 am »
Welcome here, time to cut some wood - it's the right time.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:16 am »
I only have experience with one stave which was hickory, not sure of the species. It makes a sweet bow, cant go wrong with hickory.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
Elms, hop hornbeam, sugar maple, hackberry, buckthorn, black locust, red mulberry, white oak, flowering dogwood and white ash (if alive and healthy).
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:53:37 pm »
What pearly said, also Google Tim Baker's bow woods list it will help a lot
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 07:06:31 am »
+1 to everything said above. Just wanted to add....while you are waiting for your fresh cut staves to dry. Good bows can be made from straight grained boards. That would provide you an opportunity to start right away.

Mike     

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 08:23:26 am »
  Dogwood makes great bows.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:23 pm »
Welcome aboard!  These folks have a lot of info and will share it.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 04:19:56 pm »
I would look at hickories, even smaller trees or saplings will work fine.
excellent grammar or apologies not needed to post here. perhaps a few spaces between thoughts will help.
welcome

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:51:47 pm »
not shore how to write properly. not really sure how to use periods and commas and such.

Well, I'm sorry if I made you feel at all bad or unwelcome, for sure.  That wasn't my intention.Your ideas are clear, and your grammar and  sentence structure are actually just fine, very good in fact.  Easy to understand, just reads a little slow on my end.   ;)

If you have a local library, ask them for a book called, "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves."  It's a funny little book you can read in a couple of hours that teaches grammar and punctuation through jokes, by making fun of both the common mistakes people make, and the overly- stuffy, nit-picky rules.  Clever and easy to read. They should use it in the schools.

Regardless, you are welcome here, and we'll help any way we can.