Author Topic: hazelnut arrows.  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Jackpineboyz

hazelnut arrows.
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
So I finally cut some hazelnut shafts last month, they are debarked and I tweak them once a week, so they are starting to look like shafts.
My next step was to heat them and do final straightening and trim them to length.
I had planned on just sanding them to smooth them out, but see a lot of people size them as well.  Is sizing needed?  Or is it just to make things uniform?  Part of the appeal to me of shoot arrows is that they are all different.  I am seasoning some nice hickory to make shafts with a shooting board.  The hazelnut is naturally tapered and the shafts are all similar, so I would think that the sizing could be skipped.  Between the kids and I we can use pretty much any spine so I figured to group them based on how they shot rather than spinning these.
I've been reading TBB and Hamm's book plus the various videos, but wanted to check that my plan was reasonable.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hazelnut arrows.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:25 pm »
When I make sourwood arrows I don't size them unless the shoots are too big in diameter then just enough to reduce the diameter. I also like the look of natural shoot arrows and they can fly as well as any arrow.  (SH)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:04 pm »
I think sizing helps with pulling the weight into tolerances you may want.  I like my arrows somewhat matched for weight as well as spine for each bow.  Sizing May or may not affect spine very much, but I am no expert.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:08:20 pm »
With a naturally tapered shoot you can reduce the actual spine weight by 10# just for the taper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:29:25 pm »
I'll leave natural for now and see how it goes.
thanks for the quick replies.
 )P(

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:49 pm »
Generally Jackpineboyz if the hazel has been harvested from the same bush or area & at the same time if you get one to shoot good they will generally all be about the same then in size and weight to that one, but still it's a one at a time done process.What ever that it is it is generally for the rest of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:15:33 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed