Author Topic: Maple board follow-along -- finished photos and full draw pic page 4.  (Read 8211 times)

Offline Julian

Re: Maple board follow-along -- nearly done!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 02:20:36 pm »
You actually should have two ellipses, offset from center, one for each limb.  This is because of the stiff grip.  Make sure you do that before you take any wood off.  The two ellipses will be nearly identical though.

Oops.

should be able to fix up any mistake I might have made because of that. ty for the info

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 02:37:42 pm »
You actually should have two ellipses, offset from center, one for each limb.  This is because of the stiff grip.  Make sure you do that before you take any wood off.  The two ellipses will be nearly identical though.

Oops.

should be able to fix up any mistake I might have made because of that. ty for the info

I would not feel like too much of an oops, there are a lot of folks who would consider it a challenge to build a bow with fades and dips and also bends through the handle. I would do the best I can fine tuning the mid/outers until you get to full draw with your intended weight.

One more pic when you get there?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 02:40:31 pm »
Dang, that thing is getting sexy looking!  Way to go, brother.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 02:51:30 pm »
How long is it?

Offline Springbuck

Re: Maple board follow-along
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
The right limb is bending nicely. What I do is draw a line right at the point where it bends too much on the left limb about 6 - 8" from the handle and write the word "NO"!

;D ;D ;D. That's  what I do, except I often wrap it with tape, or color the whole area with a red crayon!

Whatever else your tiller may be, I have to say it's ridiculously SYMMETRICAL, even for a board bow!  That speaks to you having a good, eye for sure.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:13:10 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 03:18:27 pm »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse

The trick here is that not all ellipses are the same, some are rounder, some flatter than others.

Also, we say eliptical, but it isn't really half an ellipse, it is a segment taken off center from the longitudinal axis.   AND on top of that, at some point we usually return to stiffer tips the last few inches.

However, that curve is super smooth and symmetrical, and that's a super good thing. Regardless.

Offline Julian

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:35 pm »
How long is it?

66" ntn.

I carved the nocks, but I kinda want to do overlays now so I might have to pike it later and do that. Once I own a heat gun I also think I'm gonna give the belly a light toast, and reflex the tips.

But for now it'll stay straight.

The bow took about 1.5" of set so far.

Offline Julian

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 11:24:13 pm »

lil sneak peek.

still gotta oil and wax the bow, and order some new arrows. I tried painting the back just for a bit of fun, turned out good.

I shot it a little bit, but I need some new serving thread for my strings.

I'll upload a full draw pic when my fiancee comes home and can be my photographer :P

Offline barebo

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:07:34 am »
You've done well - it was great to follow along from showing us the board to seeing the bow.

Looking forward to the full draw and your take on how it shoots for you. Thanks for posting - Nice Work!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 10:19:11 am »

lil sneak peek.

still gotta oil and wax the bow, and order some new arrows. I tried painting the back just for a bit of fun, turned out good.

I shot it a little bit, but I need some new serving thread for my strings.

I'll upload a full draw pic when my fiancee comes home and can be my photographer :P

Looks great. If you are in need of serving, 25 lb monofilament fishing line works well and is cheap till you can get some ordered in. I tried it once and it’s all I use now, but it will definitely work in a pinch even if you aren’t crazy about it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 11:11:11 am »
Nice bow and build Julian. Looking forward to seeing the full draw picture.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline k-hat

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 12:30:59 pm »
Looks real good, that's beautiful and graceful.  come on with the full draw!  (SH)

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 03:35:37 pm »
great looking bow! I think that turned out really nice!

Offline Julian

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 07:57:31 pm »

Looks great. If you are in need of serving, 25 lb monofilament fishing line works well and is cheap till you can get some ordered in. I tried it once and it’s all I use now, but it will definitely work in a pinch even if you aren’t crazy about it.

Great tip! I was going to have to order some online, so thanks a bunch.

Offline Badger

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
   Beautiful tiller on that bow. How does it behave? Handshock?  You can really be proud of this one.