Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Morgan

Getting started
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:02:23 pm »
I live in eastern Oklahoma.
 The hills in far eastern ok is riddled with white stone what folks here call flint but I have no idea if that’s what it truly is or not.
I know folks knap points and blades from it though as I’ve seen them for sale.
 Seeing all your posts and having an endless supply of stone makes me want to try this out.
What resources would you guys suggest to help me get started?
I have tons of questions but will hold most of them till I can try to research on my own.
Basically I would like to know if there’s a good beginners method to knapping stone.... busting stone for dummies if you will.
What tools I would need to make and pics of those would be great.

Offline Parnell

Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:27:44 pm »
If your ok with not being "abo" - aboriginal tools then look at picking up a starting kit.  You want boppers of mixed sizes, an Ishi stick, a handheld pressure flaker and some leather pads, abraders - course & fine...and above all EYE PROTECTION.   You really can make so many of the tools yourself without too much fuss but you've got plenty to do with just breaking rock.

Flintknapping is crazy addictive and will make time disappear...you've been warned! ;D

My advice is to grab a basic kit get your rock and look to get heat treating figured out...maybe look for a turkey roaster

Watch youtube videos, get to a knapp-in, and just start breaking lots of rock.  The Whittaker book 'Flintknapping', I found really worth while.

Keep us posted!
1’—>1’

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:03:33 pm »
All very good advice. Like Parnell mentioned....Youtube has a lot of information for beginners. And feel free to ask any questions..👍

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:50 pm »
Yes good advice from Steve. I think flint knapping at least for me is the hardest to teach someone. It can be taught but for me I just plain had to bust a lot of rock before I got the hang of it. It is very relaxing and like Steve says you won't believe how fast the time goes by if you don't let it frustrate you.lol I'm sure if I had a good teacher now I could learn much more yet, but you need to watch it then try it before you really kinda figure out how it works and what doesn't work. It's a new vocabulary and working with angles. Some YouTube videos are very good. I haven't watched any in awhile but I always liked buhunter. He has a really nice way of explaining what he is trying to do. He has a good sense of humor and is a good and pretty quick to. Some are very good but never explain anything.
All that white rock. Just pick some up and hit it with another round rock and see what comes off. You like seeing slick shinny inside. Like Steve said though heat treatment might be what it takes to slick it up. Good Luck we need more Knappers around here.
Bjrogg
PS might want to add band aids to your tool box
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise