Poll

String Preference

Flemish Twist
17 (73.9%)
Endless Loop
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Endless loop or Flemish?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline redhillwoods

Endless loop or Flemish?
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Gathering opinions on the pros/cons of each style respectively. What do ya'll think?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Endless loop or Flemish?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »
It took me awhile to figure out how to do it but I like a two loop Flemish twist with fast flight so it doesn't stretch to much. I like the look. It's pretty simple once I figured it out and I don't need a jig. I can even untie and tie over if I need to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:58:40 pm »
  I like the Flemish, just because I can adjust them by twisting a lot, and I can make one in the field if I have to. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
Flemish all day. The jig is easy(if you even use one) and it takes literally no time to make a string for your bow or anything else.

I’ll put a poll up for you:)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:44:02 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
I like both, I only use b50, if I had to chose its Flemish all day. As others said you can make a functional string in the field no problem.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 06:58:54 pm »
It took me awhile to figure out how to do it but I like a two loop Flemish twist with fast flight so it doesn't stretch to much. I like the look. It's pretty simple once I figured it out and I don't need a jig. I can even untie and tie over if I need to.
Bjrogg

+1

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:05:33 pm »
I like the Flemish twist. It goes like this. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:19:23 pm »
Never used a Flemish twist, but I am open to trying one.  don't have a jig, or know how to make it or the string.  Only have B50 material at present.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:31:07 pm »
When I started out in bow making I made endless loop strings.  Once I figured out how to twist up a flemish that is all I have used.  I think they are easier to make and they look better on a bow.  I like to mess around with different color combinations. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:44:15 pm »
I know you can make striped strings but can you make a "Checker"ed one? :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 07:48:49 pm »
I've never used or made an endless loop string. All my strings are B-50 Flemish twist with a loop at the top and bowyers knot on the bottom.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:02:39 pm »
I know you can make striped strings but can you make a "Checker"ed one? :D

I think I remember how to do that.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:50 pm »
DC, that sounds like the old 4 Strand braid, 2 over, 1 under, starting from the highest strand!  I sort of got intimidated looking at the various jigs for making a Flemish twist.  Probably should learn that since my mother's family is from that region >:D!.  Any nformation will be appreciated!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:49:52 pm »
Ive never used a jig. Once you have done its easy.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 11:53:50 pm »
Depends.

Flemish is easier to make in field and without a jig. It's also the only real option with natural fibers if you go that route, since you can't splice in fibers on an endless loop. However, if if you do the twist the whole length you might get more stretch in your string than endless loop, which can slow speeds down just a bit. However you can negate this by doing a two loop Flemish twist like bjrogg mentioned, which basically leaves the middle relatively untwisted like it is in endless-loop.

On the other hand endless loop has some advantages. If you have a jig, and you know the exact length the string needs to be, endless loop can actually be easier and faster. Not only that, endless loop is the best method as far as speed is concerned, since it has less mass in the loops (flemish twists double the thickness at the spliced loops), and less overall twist which minimizes stretching. These two things: less mass (especially at the tips where it matters most) and less stretch; will lead to faster speeds. However these netter speeds may not be that significant, as I haven't actually seen someone test it out. Maybe I will one day.

So to summarise:

No jig, exact length unkown, and natural fibers, then flemish twist is the way to go.

You have a jig, you know exact length, and you're doing flight shooting, then maybe endless loop should be your choice.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.