Author Topic: Sassafras  (Read 17694 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sassafras
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:13 am »
Eric's Gizmo is the perfect tool for a straight bow. You cant mess it up and it doesn't leave it open to opinions, for the most part. I would suggest using one on this bow. That wood wont give you any excuses or errors.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 10:57:59 am »
          Here's the picture we were discussing...Hope it is helpful
                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 11:42:10 am »
Don!  And just like that a picture says 1000 words.  Thanks bud, ill hopfully get a chance to work on it tonight or tomorrow. 

Pearl-  I have never used a gizmo but read a lot about them, i will be building one soon i imagine.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:45 am »
Took a bit more wood off last night.  Braced the bow to 4.5" and pulled it to 28# at 15". 

I think that left limb (lower limb in the previous pic) is starting to take some set in the area that i was originally concerned with.  Its still thicker there...but immediately drops of to being much thinner in the outter limb.  I'm wondering how much thinner i should be willing to go to get it to bend more?  Btw, i'm trying to leave the very last 1-2" stiff so the overlays i added a few days ago don't pop off.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »
          That lower limb looks gorgeous to me...Looks like it's shaped and ready to be taken out as you reach your weight...I looked at both pictures and seen the set you were talking about...All I can say is set happens with every wood...I can't weigh in on Sassafras's characteristics as far as compression goes, I have only used it for tea...Keep us updated...
                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 10:22:49 pm »
Well Don, she held up tonight braced at 6.5", and pulled to 33# @ 18.5".  Here's the pics.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 10:51:32 pm »
           Left limb looks awesome and your almost home...I see a slightly stiff area that I would adjust before going any further...Also JMHO, I would stay with a 5" brace...Unstrung profile still looks good...Nice work man!
                                                                                                                                 Don   

33#@18.5  puts you somewhere approximately   60#@28 AMO

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:09:19 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 06:23:31 am »
Great teamwork guys. Don, very cool of you to help him through to the end.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 07:29:19 pm »
Tillered the problem areas. Reduced brace 1"(btw, im measuring brace from the back of the handle).  Pulling 30# at 18.5".  I got one spot on the right limb(top limb) a bit too thin near the edge, it might be tweaking the limb a bit.  I have marked this spot so as not to remove any more material off that edge in the future.  I cannot figure out why it took more set when i both reduced the brace height and removed wood in the problem areas.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 06:52:09 am »
If you have reached your draw length, I would say you need to get some arrows flying, before you go any further. Don't be concerned about the string follow now. It will be what it will be. Radius what you need to and get rid of the tool marks and shoot, shoot, shoot so you can see what to do next. I'm no expert or even a pert but I believe you are close to some kinda line here. If you cross it you can't go back.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 06:58:55 am »
        You nailed it, that looks awesome from here!...At some point you are going to have to pull that baby to your intended 45#...I think it's time, your bend looks evenly distributed...Exercise your way out to 45# and reduce until you reach your intended draw length...Your set is "very acceptable", remember this is a 60" stiff handle Bow...Don't let set get to you bro, it's gonna happen, your tillering is good, just take what the stave gives you...
                                   Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:34 am »
I agree with Don, set happens. The zero set thing we read about is fairy tale. I have made a pile of bows in all configurations and woods and have yet to build a zero set bow. Its impossible.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 11:53:05 am »
Thanks guys. I thought i was doing something wrong.  Nice to hear how bluntly yall put it regarding set.  We try to minimize it but its GONNA happen.  Got it.  Ill see about getting this bow out to full draw length either tonight or when i get back from a wedding i have to go to in TX.  Joy...hey i suppose it coulda been me huh :NN

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 04:08:12 pm »
NO! you weren't doing anything wrong!  Remember, toward the beginning of this thread, doubts were even expressed about any level of success.

Set DOES happen.   We all hate it as bowyers, just viscerally.   Low set is possible and desirable, but I haven't ever made a bow that took zero set, either.   I've made SOME that took only an inch or inch and a half, but........

It seems as we have all learned experimented over the last 20+ years on the internet, the standards seem very high.  But, uncertain woods and short bows are a challenge already.  This is a shining success so far!

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 11:44:07 am »
Guys im back!  Silly stuff like sheep horns and finalizing my move to MT been keeping me busy, but i got the Sassafras all done. :BB

61" OAL.  Just a hair under 40# @ 24" after final sanding. 500gr arrow @ 130fps, id fling one at Whitetail:) . Artwork inspired by Modoc Native American designs.  Check out the grip area, gnarly huh?

Springbuck thank you for the inspiring words.  Pearl thanks for keeping tuned in as well.

And Donald Burchett...thanks again for your patience and the step by step tillering advice all the way through. My eye for good tillering is still in the developmental phase lol.  But you have brought me much closer on knowing what to look for. :)