Author Topic: Black Locust vs Hickory staves for beginner  (Read 3930 times)

Offline shackleton

Black Locust vs Hickory staves for beginner
« on: March 03, 2018, 05:03:17 am »
How would you compare working from staves the 2 woods esp for a beginner?
Scott

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Black Locust vs Hickory staves for beginner
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:12:15 am »
To me the locust is easier to carve (due to a more interlocking grain in hickory) but is a tougher build due to needing to chase a growth ring and how fragile it is in compression. Where as the hickory you use the layer under the bark, and is more forgiving to tillering issues and still being shootable. Black locust isn’t near as forgiving to tillering issues. Both do well with a good heat treat though.

Kyle

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:55:17 am »
My first a temp at making a self bow was in 1995 all I had was a copy of PA magazine a draw knife and sand paper and a hickory board, I made the horribly tillered and constructed  bow below it still shoots today I leave it on the wall as a reminder , hickory is about the best wood in my mind for a first bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:55:53 am »
Side view
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:11:11 am »
I would go with hickory
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline shackleton

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:20:25 am »
Thanks a lot.I was leaning towards Hickory.
Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 07:31:59 am »
Hickory would be your best bet. Locust can be a bit finicky for a first bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 12:20:54 pm »
I seconded Hickory
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »
Another vote for hickory. Might not be best bow wood in the world, but will take a lot of novice punishment that black locust won’t.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:37 pm »
  I freaking LOVE black locust, and my success rate with it is as high as any wood. Hickory does not grow around here and I have to import it, so haven't used it as much as I'd like.  I find hickory to work cleanly with tools.  It's TOUGH, but not as hard as BL.

I will say, hickory bows just plain don't like to break, which is a great thing for a beginner.   I'd start with hickory.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:19 pm »
depends on where you are located if in the south with high humidity go with black locust...have to chase a ring for back..but if dry climate go with hickory..remove bark and there is your back... gut

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 11:28:46 am »
Hickory is great, especially for beginners as said.
Springbuck, what state are you in?  I've seen two posts of yours reading today professing your love for hickory.  I have access to a lot here in Wisconsin. I would be glad to help out if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.
Curious with the black locust, would you trap the back to protect the belly?  I have a piece I've been eyeing up, was thinking of a rawhide backing on it.

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 02:18:55 pm »
Ive built 2 BL one longbow one recurve...did not trap ...treat like osage just make wider though or will take set... strong wood... gut

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:58 pm »
Hickory is great, especially for beginners as said.
Springbuck, what state are you in?  I've seen two posts of yours reading today professing your love for hickory.  I have access to a lot here in Wisconsin. I would be glad to help out if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.
Curious with the black locust, would you trap the back to protect the belly?  I have a piece I've been eyeing up, was thinking of a rawhide backing on it.

I live in Utah.  I've seen a couple pecan trees in yards, but I've had to buy all the other hickory I have used.  It's hard enough to come by even with a MacBeath's Hardwoods around, that I have sawn an axe handle in half lengthwise at least three times before for matched backings.   ;D :o

No immediate plans to head out there, but my little sister and her family now live in Wisconsin, so, never say never.  Hickory just behaves well out here in the dry.

Most of the black locust staves I have used was relatively small diameter, crowned so I never trapped it and did a flat belly.  I always have trapped it when hickory or bamboo backed.   You just have to remember that it is STIFF more than than it is elastic.  If I had large diameter stuff, I would probably BARELY round the belly to match the back, maybe?  Splitting hairs, really.

I personally feel like BL has a bad rap on being "weak" in compression.  You just can't treat it like osage orange.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:20:38 pm by Springbuck »