Author Topic: weird chinese bow  (Read 932 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
weird chinese bow
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:45 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0nEocphm-M
this is about the strangest bow I've seen lately.
It defies a number of concepts of economy of weight typically applied nowadays.

The core is made of "chinese mulberry", also called Cudrania, which is in fact the same genus as osage (Maclura tricuspidata), not to be confused with Mulberry of the genus Morus.
the pre-tillered core is first wrapped in rawhide, later on another layer of hide with fur is added to it.

The siyahs are incredibly bulky too.
If I understand the video correctly, the draw weight is supposedly some 90 pounds, which I find pretty hard to believe seeing how it is drawn, and how thin the core slats look. Rather looks like 40# at most to me.

But still, an interesting bow to behold.

Offline Badger

Re: weird chinese bow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:07 am »
 Basically the bow was junk, a girl drew it further than he did. He had no clue about bow building.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:08 am »
I don't know fellows, I try not to compare bows and their construction from other cultures to mine, like the English compared every thing to the longbow.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Strichev

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »
The way the string flops around when shot makes it look like a bow made from a green hazel stick with some 30 meters of cast. Seems sub 30 pounds to me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
I don't know fellows, I try not to compare bows and their construction from other cultures to mine, like the English compared every thing to the longbow.

It doesn't matter what culture you compare it to, a bow is a bow and he has nothing there that will produce any power.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:50:25 pm »
At its heart the potential is there for power but the execution is terrible.