Author Topic: Dowel rod cutter drc from Russia (ebay)  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

Re: Dowel rod cutter drc from Russia (ebay)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
Hey it worked for one pic :) here is the second picture. I got a chance last weekend to cut some kiln dried straight grain Douglas fir into 3/8 squares and run them through. And although I'm not sure I like the wood choice the cutter worked very well. I must say it was easier to chuck the 3/8 inch piece into my lathe and run the tool along the shafts than have the tool locked in place and run the wood into the tool.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 10:02:36 am »
Nice! I hope you don't mind but I've got a few questions:
What's the short dowel sticking out the top for, securing it?
Did you have to round the corners of the wood you cut, or will it handle it still square?
How close to 11/32" do you need to start with?
Trevor

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »
It came with 2 dowels that act as handles if you are using it by hand I could have taken that out without affecting the tool. I cut my stock on a table saw to 3/8 in by 3/8 in square. Initially I was rounding over the corners but found that I didn't need to. But that was the biggest stock that would fit in the hole.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 07:48:43 am »
Thanks for the info! I might have to look into getting one of these.
Trevor

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 03:33:37 pm »
Yeah it's a well built tool I had tried making a rounding plane multiple times and every time I got a product that would eat up my stock that I was potting through it. It was frustrating. And this didn't have any issues with that.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
i had the same issues with my veritas doweller years ago, having a stable setup for both in feed and out feed immediately improved the quality of the shafts.
i would think that using the lathe setup would really get the feeds super accurate :)
i put some pics on a post i  did for Dieselcheese- showing my setup, it may or may not help with this cutter as well
good luck