Author Topic: Native American question  (Read 6091 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Native American question
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 10:11:17 am »
We have them here in western new york, some of them are quite long.
I always thought they were farm boundaries from the old homestesders.
 I always found them in second growth forests.

Kevin

+1
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 01:39:32 pm »
I don't know if we had any civil war battles here in S.E. Indiana.  I haven't heard of any.  The walls aren't near any property lines.  They are at the bottom of a hillside.  There is zero chance of it being flood control.  The creek is dry unless it rains and then it's just a trickle of water flowing through it.  The wall would probably still be standing if I hadn't of messed with it when I was a kid  :-[   The rocks are from the creek bed next to it.   This spring I'd like to build a small dam across the creek.  I'd like to make a small watering hole  for the deer.  It would be a 10 yard shot from my stand. 

The first doe I killed with a recurve this past deer season was standing a few feet from the wall when I shot her.  She jumped it after the shot.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:06 pm »
That creek may have roared at one time. What it does now doesn't mean much. We have a river that flows by about 5 miles south of the house. It used to float paddle wheelers not all that long ago, now its just barely deep enough to run a flat bottom.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:01 pm »
Whatever the reason I'm sure there is one. Nobody piles stones for the fun of it
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 02:09:22 pm »
That creek may have roared at one time. What it does now doesn't mean much. We have a river that flows by about 5 miles south of the house. It used to float paddle wheelers not all that long ago, now its just barely deep enough to run a flat bottom.

Trust me, it's not flood control.  This spot is maybe 150 yards from the top of the hillside where the valley starts.  It's just a run off for the rain.  Our property is on the high ground.  I'll show you next December  ;)

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 02:40:44 pm »
farmers cleared rocks from the field to improve the land. often they were piled at the along the edge of the field, which was often the property line, or may have become a new property line if the land was subdivided.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:10 pm »
farmers cleared rocks from the field to improve the land. often they were piled at the along the edge of the field, which was often the property line, or may have become a new property line if the land was subdivided.

This is not anywhere near a field.  Plus I doubt the farmers would have neatly stacked the rocks they cleared.

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »
This is not anywhere near a field.
I am guessing it was at one time, it does look like second growth. you could do a title search or find a something at the library about local history. A lot of small farms have been abandoned in the last 100 years.
Plus I doubt the farmers would have neatly stacked the rocks they cleared.
why do you doubt that?      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldstone
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:07:39 pm by willie »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 04:12:36 pm »
This is not anywhere near a field.
I am guessing it was at one time, it does look like second growth. you could do a title search or find a something at the library about local history. A lot of small farms have been abandoned in the last 100 years.

It's at the bottom of steep hillsides.  Unless farmers liked growing crops on 45 degree slopes It's not from a field.  The tops of the hills are flat fields.  There are no rock piles around them. 

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 08:17:48 pm »
down in a creek bottom? maybe something left behind by moonshiners?

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 08:06:18 am »
Shine??? -C-
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:24 am »
No clue on that history.  There's not enough water flowing to think that's a possible shine spot.  The creek is dry unless it's raining.  I don't know why they would build a wall like that for a still. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 10:38:34 am »
Protect the high ground? Let me know when you figure it out Clint. A good ambush  spot is a good hunting spot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 12:38:45 pm »
I don't see why your initial thought isn't as likely as any other, Clint.  From what you are describing it sounds rational.

If I had that on my property I'd be all over restacking it and making that watering hole.  Enjoy it, right?! :)
1’—>1’

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
I wonder if there was forest in your neck of the woods back when the glaciers receded?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ancient-caribou-hunt-artifacts-preserved-deep-in-lake-huron-1.2624727