Author Topic: Where to buy?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline HorseApples

Where to buy?
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
I have the bug. I have made 2 bows, (one failed and another ended up being a kids bow that is too heavy for kids to draw)
It took me forever as a I plodded through those two, but I learned a lot and now I have one in the works almost at floor tiller, and two more in the wings.
I have made my tillering gizmo, tillering stick, and plan to build a shave horse this weekend so the shavings can really start to fly.

I am looking for resources. I live in central Texas.

Staves
- We don't have a lot of osage in Central Texas. Seems to me it used to be much more common than it is today... We have some property in the hill country and I have scoured it. Lots of oak, persimmon, cedar elm, hackberry and ubiquitous cedar but alas no osage.  Are there any local sources of Osage staves in central Texas?
 I have bought two staves off of eBay.  They would probably be considered good staves, but it would be nice to be able to inspect one in person before buying. One stave I bought appeared to be perfect candidate to be my hunting bow, but once I chased it down to a suitable ring, it was too narrow. So it will be another* kid's bow.

-Rawhide
I have a kids bow that I want to back with rawhide. Its easy to find on-line, but its not totally clear that its suitable for bows. 
Do you guys have a trusted source? Is there anywhere locally you can buy the kind of rawhide we need?

thanks for your help

Offline ksnow

Re: Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:23 am »
Hackberry makes a fine bow.

And deer make good rawhide :) Sorry

Kyle

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:05:05 am »

If you have stuff worth trading, you can get staves that way, or go after that hackberry.
I get rawhide from Tandy Leather, they have goat rawhide.
Eric

Offline HorseApples

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:45 pm »
KSnow, I keep hearing that about hackberry and it surprises me.
I never though hackberry could be useful for anything. I will gladly cut down a green one soon.
I have heard persimmon can make a good bow too, if you really know what you are doing. (not me)   

I missed my chance to make my own rawhide this hunting season. Next season, unless I happen upon an axis.

Thanks HD - we have a tandy leather in Austin, I'll check them out this weekend.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:16:11 pm »
Hackberry and persimmon will make good, durable bows. If you have some trade items you can probably chase down a few rawhide strips in the "Trading Post".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:36 pm »
Oak, persimmon, elm and hackberry all make good bows. Instead of rawhide for the kids bow, silk($2 neck tie from Good Will), linen(blouse from Good Will) or even brown grocery bag paper will work as good backing materials.
Check with a saddle or tack shop for rawhide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »
Horseapples  pm me your phone# . I am in Spicewood
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 05:13:27 pm »
Hackberry is great. It is light, works easy and makes a snappy bow.  Heat treat the belly.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 05:42:47 pm »
I have not made a bow out of persimmon yet,but have split some for future use. It has a real tendency to twist badly, even as you split it.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:33 am »
When I was stationed in fort hood I would hunt hogs on the granger wma or whatever they call it- Osage was everywhere! I never looked into what is required to cut one down but I found it on ft. Hood and granger and there was some other place I can’t remember the name of... ask on texasbowhunter.com! I met some of the greatest guys on there and they made my time in Texas way more enjoyable. 3D shoots and learning all the fun trad stuff.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.