Author Topic: Arrow placement above center of bow?  (Read 3634 times)

cool_98_555

Arrow placement above center of bow?
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:20 am »
Hi guys,

I am making an osage stiff-handle bow right now.  I am trying to figure out where to shoot the arrow from.  I don't like setting up my bows where the top limb is longer than the bottom limb, but instead, I like to use an equal length for both limbs.  I mark the exact center of the stave, put a line 2 inches above and 2 inches below, and that's my handle area.  I usually make my bows so that the arrow is shooting 2" above center, the very top of my handle section.  I have made a lot of bows before that use equal-length limbs (2" above center, 2" below center), but I would grip the bow a little bit lower so that the arrow would rest about 1 1/2" above center, maybe even 1 1/4".  Do any of you guys put the arrow 2" above center and lay out the handle like I do?  Is there supposed to be more of a positive tiller in this situation?

Offline High-Desert

Re: Arrow placement above center of bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:18:50 am »
I make my bows the same way you do. I've tried the assymetrical thimh and I don't like the way the bow feels while certain it. With handle at true center, your top limb should have a positive tiller. Typically 1/4" to 3/8", but this number is not important, it's how the bow feels while drawn. You can feel if the top or bottom limb is stiffer and adjust until the bow draws smooth at the point you are drawing from....which must remain consistent while determining this. My arrows is placed right about 2" above center, and a hair knock high, so that's where I will draw the bow while tillering and adjust my tiller so it draws smooth at that point. I hope I made sense there
Eric

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:04 am »
Hi

With my limited expirience I'd say

in that case you can (1) try to nock the arrow a bit higher. If this doesen't help you (2) have to weaken the upper limb.

I'm interested in the correct answer myself...

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:53 am »
Yea, that makes a lot of sense, thank you.  I have experimented with using the actual point where the arrow will be shot from all the way through tillering and I have used the exact center of the bow all the way through tillering, and I don't notice a difference unless I predetermine where the top limb is before I start tillering.  In terms of positive tiller, i've done anywhere from 1/16" all the way up to 5/8", and it's strange because it all depends on the bow.  Some people say 1/16" or 1/8" is is gold, but I think it depends on how it feels. 

Did you notice a difference in performance or feel when placing the arrow at 1" or 1.5" above center as opposed to 2"?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:00:09 am »
If you are still sneaking your hand down the bow then you are effectively changing limb length anyway.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:59 am »
I will typically tiller from center until I'm 20-22" draw, then decide which limb is too or bottom, then proceed with tillering from draw point. I didn't notice a proformance difference, I just didn't like the look of feel. You're right, it all depends on the bow as far as how much positive tiller, that's why feel is most important.
Eric

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »
This can vary depending on tiller but I usually put the arrow pass 1.25" above center.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:28 pm »
I set my bows symmetrically and place a mark at the mid point, go 2" above, 2" below for the handle. I grip the bow with my middle finger on that mid point and make a mark at the top of my hand for the arrow pass, about 1 1/2" above center.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:18:40 pm »
I do it about like PatB.  The middle of the bow is about where my middle finger is.   The arrow rides above that, but only 1"-1.5".   If I make a handle barely big enough for my hand and give myself a 1.5-2"  window above that the bow is barely asymmetrical.

Remember Baker said he likes making limbs and tilller symmethical with a 6" handle or so.  Just flip the bow over top to bottom and shoot it whichever way feels best. 

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:39:20 am »
I cut my shelf 1-1/4 above center of bow. So I guess 1-1/4  above would be placement of fore finger for the knuckle guys. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:05 am »
1” above center for me.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 06:38:51 am »
I do like PatB, It may vary a little up or down but that is usually close. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:21 am »
Anywhere from 1.25" to 1.5" above center.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed