Author Topic: dieselcheese- veritas doweler setup  (Read 4679 times)

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
dieselcheese- veritas doweler setup
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:11:47 pm »
Hey Dieselcheese,
Here we go mate
had to drag this out, havent used it in years. keeping it for when i retire, if ever, and need to keep busy. ;)

the key to all of this is full support, the shaft needs to be supported both on the infeed and the outfeed side.
i set the unit up on a long straight hefty piece of lumber.
i glued and screwed tracks on the sides to guide a carriage block,- that carries the drill.  nice and snug, but still easy moving, the longer the carriage- less chance of it binding too.
also an endstop- to stop me bashing into the doweller.
you have to build this all so that the center of the drill chuck lines up exactly with the center of the doweller, on both planes- makes sense  :)

then on the outfeed side- i have 4 support blocks- with a slighly tapered hole - so that the dowel can easily find the hole andfeed in easily.
the bores are really kinda cone shaped- like a funnel.

then i bought a good 1/2" drill with very high speed.
 the key here is max rpm, and slow feed rate- i would do 36" in about 1 minute,

as the arrow starts to exit the doweller, i reach around and grab the dowel with some sandpaper in my hand- and let it spin through that.
but it will get hot- and remember heat is the enemy of sandpaper- so move the paper around in your hand- working with a cool spot all the time

works well, cos you dont have to worry about the infeed being lined up.
i never put a drill on the outfeed side to pull the shaft through- i would just pull them out backwards- and start the next one.

the piece of ply with the 4" hole, was for my dust collector hose- it sucked away all the shavings and most of the sanding dust.

gotta keep the blades razor sharp.
i, like most guys can get a good edge on a cutting tool- but consistancy is the key here- so i actually bought one of those sharpening jigs from lee valley- that hold the blade at the correct angle- then they just roll on a sharpening stone- very effective!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:17:31 am by TSA »

Offline TSA

Re: dieselcheese- veritas doweler setup
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:20:55 pm »
here is a closer shot of the carriage custom made to fit the drill perfectly- remember to keep good airflow to the cooling vents in the drill.

good luck mate.
holler if there is anything else i can help with.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:29:26 am »
Thanks!

I think the carriage is the element I'm  missing.  Glad you posted these pics.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:39:58 am »
Kewl - Thanks for Posting  (-P  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:57:57 am »
TSA, the fact that you own a business selling arrow shafts but take the time Give folks tips and instruction to do for themselves is admirable. Thank you.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:41 am »
I agree with Morgan,  Thank you for this.   Cool setup too

Offline TSA

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:52:03 am »
its an absolute pleasure guys.

i am first an archer, second an incurable tinkerer, and third a businessman!
much to my wifes dismay. ;D

we all love the same thing, its easy to help others- and there are enough folk who want to buy shafts to justify the business.
thank you.
cheers

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 10:06:09 pm »
great looking setup, thanks for posting. I have been tossing the idea around with getting a Veritas dowel maker myself. I would like to just experiment with different arrow woods, so your guidelines and pictures are very helpful!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:44:37 am »
Nice set up TSA.Thanks for showing this.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:29 pm »
@TSA: I have been toying with the idea of making HHB arrows. Do you think the Veritas dowel maker would be able to produce acceptable arrow shafts from HHB with your setup?

Offline TSA

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »
HHB as in Hophornbeam?
i have never worked with HHb at all bows or otherwise, so dont truly know the woods properties.
but from a hardness perspective,  i have made Ipe  shafts with the veritas- just have to go a bit slower- now those were awesome shafts :OK

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:20:31 pm »
Wayne your a good guy. Thanks for posting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:50:53 pm »
Well thought out setup. Thanks for taking the time.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 11:11:12 am »
@TSA, yes eastern hophornbeam (ironwood). I have lots of staves cut for bows but wanted to see whether I can make some arrows from it as well but have found little information on people's experience with it as arrow wood.

Offline TSA

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 09:43:14 am »
i would give it a whirl! :)
nice straight clean staves- no twist no grain runout- will make great arrows, and the veritas will cut it just fine,
like i said it cut the IPE just beautifully- just went slower.
cant comment on how long the blades will stay sharp for, as i only made a half dozen or so- but if you have to resharpen thats not a big deal.

one other thing i used to do with the spruce, was make a shaft, spine it, and adjust the diameter to match my spine requirement.
woods like Sitka Spruce are incredibly consistent when in close proximity to each other- dont know about HHB.
i might have landed up with shafts that weren't exactly 11/32, but i just barrel tapered so they matched my nocks and tips- but they were all the same spine.

obviously goes without saying- pics and lots of pics!!!