Author Topic: dieselcheese- veritas doweler setup  (Read 4748 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: dieselcheese- veritas doweler setup
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »
Again, thanks for the tips True Shaft.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:15:11 am »
Thanks TSA, I think I will take the plunge and buy a Veritas dowel maker tool. HHB has very very tight growth rings and is a diffuse porous wood. I think it would allow me to make thin but strong arrows while maintaining the weight on the arrow. I think I would gain some speed that way without giving up much of the kinetic energy of the arrow.

One additional question I have if I may:  I understand from your post that you vary the size of the shaft with the tool to get to the spine you want. How much variation are you able to get from the blades of the tool to get to the desired arrow size & spine? The Veritas inserts I am looking to get are 5/16 & 3/8.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:55 pm »
absolutely, and well done for taking the plunge.
 i know that when i was using the veritas- and that was probably a good 6 or 7 years ago-i could get shafts as thick as .380 when i was running 11/32- which is .343.
now i cant remember what die i was using even if there was an 11/32. :-[
but the infeed side- is just to stabilize the square, so thats easy.
the diameter is easily adjusted with a nice set of dials and big nuts- clearly explained in the manual, for me to explain it, i would have to go and read again- lol!!
what i do remember is that i had to re-read the manual a few times :D :D

but its clearly written, and easy to understand.

good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

when youre down the track a bit, maybe we could swap some shafts- i would fancy a set of the HHB shafts. ;)
i might have some shafts you might be interested in, that we haven't released yet

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:33:22 pm »
@TSA, thank you very much for your feedback and advice, it is very much appreciated! I would definitely be interested to swap some HHB shafts once I have actually successfully made some (wish me luck...!). I love HHB as bow wood and I harvest it right out of my bush. I have some staves that have nice straight grain I can use for making arrows. They would be straight shafts since I am not sure how I would accurately hand taper them. Any ideas?

I will definitely keep you posted. I have some pics of the previous arrows I have made on my posting on the Beaver Quiver that is close to your posting on the Veritas dowel maker tool. I did not make the shafts, I have purchased those from Carson Brown and they are Douglas Fir 11/32" shafts. I hafted points from Steve Allely and sinew wrapped turkey feathers from my bush.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:18 am »
PatB has an awesome shaft taper setup- pm him i guess for some pics- super easy to build.

if anybody understands the love of shaft building, and pleasure derived from it, I do!! ;D
and i am not about to deny anybody that- its an absolute pleasure in being able to help where i can!

Carson also does some amazing shafts, i have seen their shafts. high quality- well graded!
Really much of a muchness when one starts to compare Fir to  Sitka to POC- the main difference being weight. Fir being the heaviest, then POC then Sitka being the lightest.
they are all good tough arrows, with subtle differences.
The key for me, is the attention to detail in the grading!! and i know Surewood do a great job in that regard! I would never hesitate to recommend their shafting!!