Author Topic: 240's sheep horn bow build with Tom Lucas  (Read 84840 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 240's sheep horn bow build with Tom Lucas
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2018, 11:45:19 am »
Well you know bows like your making there could be past to generation after another in the durability catagory I think.Doing 1 horn bow is a big effort.Doing 2 is quite a bit more yet.Thanks for taking us on your journey.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
Sheephorn bows continue to cure into reflex. More sinew was added to the limbs as well as the handle area.  I want to be darn sure that splice holds.  I also wrapped the limb ends for good measure. Gonna give it a bit longer then start slowly and gently flexing them.

Offline DC

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:05 am »
Lookin' good, I'm waiting on this.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:00 am »
 (A)

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2018, 07:11:09 am »
Mike, how the bows looking?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2018, 11:23:02 pm »
Visiting my buddy Tom Lucas this week as i hunt Elk and Antelope in WY. He demonstrates how his latest bow bends, purposely left a bit stiff in the outer thirds due to a natural imperfection in the horn, leaving nothing to chance. I'm about to continue construction on mine now that everything is good and cured😈 We discuss the different ways to accomplish nocks for the string, such as cutting them in vs building them up with sinew.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2018, 11:24:01 pm »
and more....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2018, 08:30:15 am »
Your horn bows look very good.Interesting difference in profiles also.Look forward to seeing more of your process.
Is the third one down in front of the display Toms' bow?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:15:45 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:42 pm »
BowEd-good point regarding the different profiles.  And yes Sir, the 3rd one down is Toms.  You can see the difference on how mine took reflex when i took them off the deflexed form and allowed the sinew to dry into reflex.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2018, 09:05:46 pm »
I started removing material off the short hornbow today.  I want to get it flexing enough to brace it.  Tom explains to me that he does all tillering by removing material from the belly, he does not use any heat for this.  He doesn't call it the faceted removal method per se, but describes it similarly.

Just a recap at this point.  The difference in my bows vs Toms so far is that i added way more sinew, and also allowed my bows to dry into reflex.  Im certain they will be more challenging to brace up.  And Tom warns of the higher probability of "debracing" on the shot and possible bow breakage.  We will find out in due time.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2018, 01:23:55 pm »
You are correct in saying the higher reflexed bows will be more touchy to tiller,[especially horn as it's not as stable or more elastic than wood]but when balanced good and settled in they should be good to go.In the past I've used a peg board to help with tillering and bracing of highly reflexed bows.
I'm sure Tom has his own methods to help you out with that also.So you will use a scraper or pocket knife to remove materials to edge your way into a good balanced tiller then while keeping the belly faceted or rounded?
BowEd
Ed

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
More material is removed off the shorter of the two bows.  It wont be much longer until it's ready to brace.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:23 pm »
Picked back up on the horn bows today. Swapping the Ferriers rasp for the draw knife held perpendicular to the horn really suited my taste, dust now becomes shavings. The short bow is a low brace, got some significant limb twist on one end, probably gonna try some gentle heat bending, but no telling if it’s gonna become a bow or just a horn that looks like a bow. The larger of the two is looking a bit more promising with no twist in the tips so far, just slighty offset. I spent about 5 hours today and 5 hours yesterday to take them from really thick horn to something that flexes. Much of the sinew on the back and the ends I have decided to remove. Live and learn as you do these things, ya know.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:38 pm »
longer bow pics...

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2019, 12:28:05 am »
Looking good! Live and learn, i think we all know that feeling...  :D

To me that sideways twist isn't looking too bad. There is no other material better for heat bending/manipulation than horn and sinew. You can do wonderful things whenever you have a twist in hornbow. Its not nearly the same case with wood bows, not even with horn-wood-sinew composites. Only problem might be that the bow will want to twist in the future, but i wouldn't worry it too much.

Good luck! Gonna be a bunchy bow, what kind of poundage and draw are you after?