Author Topic: help needed, stave problem, update  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Hans H

help needed, stave problem, update
« on: February 15, 2018, 02:55:30 pm »
hello guys
I bought this stave and didn`t see this before, it was sealed all around and a bit dirty.  today I chased a ring and found that dark brown marks with very thin cracks in it. belly side is clean so the cracks don`t go through the stave.
do you think it is firewood or would some superglue be enough to safe it?
any idea?
thanks for some advise
Hans

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:27:20 pm by Hans H »
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: help needed, stave problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:07:20 pm »
With them going length wise Hans I'd say it's ok.Time for thin super glue to fill them I quess if you don't like the looks of them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:18:37 pm »
Those look like wounds that the tree grew around.  Almost looks like someone stabbed that tree years ago.  I would go down a few more rings and see if you can remove them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hans H

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:21:51 pm »
thank you Ed, I measured it, its about 22mm thick, maybe I can take a few more rings of it and maybe the marks and cracks are gone?
Hans

Offline Hans H

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:24:52 pm »
@osage outlaw, looks like we postet the same time, but thank you
Hans

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:50:30 pm »
You're wasting time and effort if you remove more rings. Those cracks will never make any difference. I have bows with bigger cracks that I have been shooting for quite a while. The fibers are not broken there, just separated.

Just make a bow.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:41 pm »
If you've got thickness to spare, might as well remove another ring or two, but if not, I think Jim is right, as long as the cracks don't run off the side you'll be fine.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:28 pm »
THAT looks like an old borer hole the tree filled in to heal it over.  I'm working right now on a black locust bow with one of those smack in the middle of the belly.   On mine, the tree had sealed over the hole well with two heartwood rings, but the belly has that exact puckered slit, with that exact grain pattern.  Funny enough the hole was closed in with wood like yours, but the wood was still white like sapwood right around the slit, maybe 3/8" on each side.

So, I lucked out that mine is on the belly.  I just worked around it like I would have a knot..  I injected the slit full of Minwax wood hardener, then gently pounded a tiny shaved splint in the splint with lots of glue. 

On the BACK, like you have, is a different deal.  If.you trust the grain , I guess go around like a knot, but the grain looks squirrely around the ends of that slit. If those were simple checks I wouldn't think twice.  AND it IS osage.   Will a binder hold it?  Do you need.to go down a ring?   I'm curious.  Good luck!

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:47:43 pm »
I think you will be alright..... as said earlier, you can chase a ring or 2 down, or fill them with runny super glue...... Don't be afraid of this stave..

Offline Hans H

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:58:45 am »
many thanks to you all, I`ll leave it and fill it up
Hans

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:30:56 am »
Can you safely lay a bow out around them or by including them? If you have to weave back and forth too much to avoid them or include them you are now laying the bow contrary to what the grain is asking for. Id go another right or tow down and see if you can remove them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:07 am »
@PD, this "cracks" are mostly near in middle of the stave, so I can not lay out a bow without this. but I think now I will do what you said, first I remove 2 rings more, second let us see what comes out and third make a decision what I will do.
thank you very much
Hans

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 10:00:26 am »
If I were working that stave, I would feel better taking it down a ring or two to see if the problem went away.  If it didn't, filling with glue would always be worth a shot.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:03 am »
Looks like character to me.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hans H

Re: help needed, stave problem, update
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 12:38:41 pm »
it`s been a good decision to remove some more rings. I`ve done today, removed 4 rings and think I found the livingrooms of some borers

o.k., last July my 2. grandson is born, think the rest of this stave will become his first bow

thanks to all for your quickly responses and help

Hans