Author Topic: Fantastic Hawaiian Bow Wood  (Read 2538 times)

Offline pnwarcher

Fantastic Hawaiian Bow Wood
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:22:48 pm »
I recently returned from a vacation in Hawaii and although it is of course a tropical paradise, I was feeling a little antsy about not doing any bow building for 2 weeks. Fortunately for me, it turns out Hawaii is home to a wild rose called Ulei, which the old Hawaiians used for building bows. They were predominantly used for rodent hunting, so were typically very small bows of light poundage. Ulei is a pretty shrub, occasionally growing as a small tree.

I harvested some Ulei and made a little bow as an experiment. It's 44" NTN and pulls 12 pounds at 22" draw. I whittled it in an afternoon with nothing but a pocket knife, then let it dry in the sun for 10 days. The tiller leaves something to be desired, but I wanted the bow to be crude to see just how much abuse this wood can take. The stave had about 2 inches of natural deflex, and took on an additional inch or so of set during tillering.

Here is the 22" full draw:

Next I drew it 29", expecting it to break, which didn't happen. In the below three part photo, the top image is resting before draw, the middle is at 29" draw, and the bottom is unstrung immediately after the long draw. It took an additional 1/2" or so of set.

I am pretty impressed and am looking forward to making a heavier bow with this stuff someday.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:26:26 pm by pnwarcher »

Offline Julian

Re: Fantastic Hawaiian Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:24 pm »
Cool!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:14 am »
Sweet bow. I love a good crude, rough, ugly bow with bark still on it. Why not flip the other tip and retiller. I'd make a good little kids bows.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:47:10 am »
So its 44" and pulls 29"?  Is it still green id assume?  And the important question, have any rodents met their demise by this stick, and i dont mean by wacking them with it.  ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
   I would keep my eye out for larger pieces, you may have discovered something good there!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:40:35 pm »
Pretty cool

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:06:59 am »
So its 44" and pulls 29"?  Is it still green id assume?

It's actually dried to near equilibrium moisture. With a clear, green piece of this stuff, you could take a 1/2" diameter, 44" long stick and bend it till the ends touch, without breaking. It's really impressively flexible, yet springs back quite well and is fairly dense. I brought a couple small pieces home with me to do some more quantitative testing. I'm for sure planning to bring home some bigger staves next time I visit the island.

Maybe one of you will beat me to it!