Author Topic: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question? Got it to 37lbs @ 29" profile  (Read 6391 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
I've got this stave I got from Clint at Marshall. It was a belly split and when I chased ring it ended up having two knots one a inie and one a outie almost right next to each other decided to go for it and split the stave between the two cause I wasn't going to get one without a knot. This is the outie split. My real question is.
1 would you remove center of this knot? I'm tempted to "chase a ring" on the center of this knot. Remove the knot with a clean ring for the edge of the hole. Is this do able or am I crazy even to think it.
2 leave alone just take any lose stuff out.

3 is this to close to edge? Is it possible to get a good bow from this?

I'm tempted by number 1. It seems like anything that isn't a full ring inside knot is just extra weight and undependable bow wood. Possibly a mix of 1 and 2. I have everything bending a bit. I don't know the answer to 3 but I'm going to find out.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:04:10 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:34:44 am »
Get it gone, it will give you fits later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:37:50 am »
Anything else risks leaving discontinuities in the grain.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:45:45 am »
That exactly what I'm think Pearl. I'm thinking about try some chisels my Dad has some for woodcarving might work nice.

Del it seems like if I just take lose stuff I already have discontinued grain. What knot I would try to remove grain would be going into belly. I'm really just thinking if I could remove the "limb" and leave the support from the trunk that grew around it. Maybe a pipe dream but I'm tempted to try it.

Bjrogg

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:34:02 am »
Looks like you have a side check there below the knot on the "belly side" pic.  It appears to run up into the knot.  Some super-duper glue might help. 
I've also drilled out knots and plugged them with a hardwood dowel I've either made or bought.  Being so close to the edge, is risky with our without nevertheless.  You may just have to go with your gut.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:08:40 am »
Too bad you didn't lay it out with a little more width there. I think I'd get rid of the knot and continue on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:33 am »
Thanks Matt
Pat I really wish it was further away from the edge but that split was the original and I couldn't change where it was. The limb is wider at knot it follows the grain.
Well nothing ventured nothing lost or gained. I went for #1 and think it maybe worked out ok . Still have no idea about numbers 3 but I will give it my best try. Here's what it looks like now.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:56:05 am by bjrogg »

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question? I Removed it
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 11:35:33 am »
cleaning out the hole did nothing at all toward improving the chance of success. I'd glue in an Osage plug using a gap filling glue. That would help the belly handle compression.

I think the back would be OK.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 11:44:10 am »
Where is the knot on the bow?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 11:55:17 am »
Jim I agree. I'm sure I did nothing to improve chances for success. I think really all I did was get rid of wood that really was undependable and extra weight. I might have a hole in my head as big as the one in this knot but I think the wood that is left is mostly all wood that grew on the trunk around the limb. I have it really close to brace right now. I think I'm going to cut some notches in it and put a string on it when I get a chance. I post results whatever they are.
Bjrogg
Dbar that's the really scary part. It's about 5" out of the fades. Pretty high stress area I'd think. Been toying with the idea of making it a bendy handle and having it about 9" from tip. I'd like it better there.
Bjrogg

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »
I've done a few .... have had success with most but paid for every shot! Good luck with the build no matter which way it goes. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 02:14:53 pm »
I am concerned, too, as I don't think you left enough wood around the knot. I don't think it matters which option you choose. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 03:19:15 pm »
I like Jim's idea of plugging it up. You could wrap the area with sinew after that, may help hold the area together...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:09:39 pm »
I understand everyone's concern and I don't really have high expectations for this one. I guess it's like the bad guy in the Dirty Harry movie says I just gotta know. Of course things didn't work so well for him either. I do wish I had more wood around the side of knot but that's what I had to work with. I won't get to it anymore today but I'll let you all know how it goes. Might even try to video this one on the tree. It's bound to be entertaining whatever happens.
Bjrogg

Offline Stoner

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 06:20:14 pm »
Not suppose to have sights on a selfbow.

Jus' kiddin', made many bows with holes. John