Author Topic: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question? Got it to 37lbs @ 29" profile  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Yard Dog

Re: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question? I Removed it
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »
I kinda agree with Jawge.... Doesn't look like enough left on the outside.....

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 09:05:59 am »
Well I got it to brace and made a string for it. This is right off the vice floor tillering to first time putting a string on. I took a video just in case but actually for first Time on the tree it was pretty uneventful. The knot does want to rotate handle but the bend doesn't look all that bad. Keep in mind this is right from floor tiller and I know left limb is stiff but she didn't blow the first pull.
Right now 35@ 25"
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:10 am »
Too much bend right at the right fade. don't remove any wood there. Looks like no bend at the knot. May be good to leave that area stiff.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: To remove or knot to remove, that is the question? Got it to 35@25"
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 10:34:35 am »
I agree Jim doesn't need any more out of fade. The knot is actually bending a little but like you said I kept it just a little stiff. She's probably not going to have the prettiest curves around but I was expecting worst. I'm working on a bear hide right now but I'll get back to her. Thanks for replies
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 11:03:46 am »
BJ,
Are you going for more draw length?  Or weight?  My guess is that it would hold pretty close to where it is, but I don't have any experience with that sort of challenge.  Knot the bottom limb? :BB
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 11:57:18 am »
Hawkdancer I'm not expecting a hunting bow here and I don't think I'll get one. I will probably gain a few inches draw from left limb yet. It's still pretty stiff. I'm pretty close on right. I might get knot bending just a little more and try to relieve a little stress out of the fade but I'm not to unhappy with it for now. It will be fussing around to get tiller as good as I can now. Hopefully gain a few inches and not lose to much weight. Still have handle wide and still toying with idea of shortening and making a 56" bendy handle with knot 9" inches from tip. I think I'd get a nicer bow that way. I'm still working on fleshing a bear hide so it won't be today. I'll have a little more time to think about where I'm going with it.
Bjrogg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:09 pm »
If you can pull this off without it giving you the big blooey, then you deserve to enjoy that sunrise and a good cup of coffee! 

I am cheering for you! 

Over here. 

At a safe distance.

With safety glasses on.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 07:24:50 pm »
Ha ha Thanks JW I did shoot a arrow with it at least. I'm still really thinking about making it a bendy. I'm thinking not to many people are going to want to shoot this one.lol.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Bjrogg
PS Hawkdancer I'd probably put the knot top limb.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:33:39 pm by bjrogg »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40:21 pm »
lol JW.  :laugh:

I think the bend looks pretty darn good. That's quite a knot! I didn't realize it came that far off the back. Pretty cool if you ask me.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 07:42:47 pm »
Yes Jeff it is pretty proud on the back side.
Bjrogg

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 05:16:49 am »
You said the knot effects the handle twisting - maybe the forces there are not evenly spread over the limb, I would try to balance  that out. Don't touch the right fade. I would allow both limbs to bend more from midlimb to tips.

At least at this stadium I dislike the tiller tree, much better to tiller with a mirror!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 06:32:48 am »
Thanks Simson. I agree that the forces are not even by the knot. I need to study it out some more when I get time. I also agree not to remove any more wood out of right fade and more from mid limb to to tip on left limb. Right has a little reflex and I think it moving plenty towards the tips but could lose a little yet mid limb and possibly by the knot. I noticed it twisting the handle slightly on tree but actually when Hold it in hand I didn't seem to feel it. There is nothing to hold handle from moving on tree. I haven't had time to really play around with it yet but I did get my bear fleshed yesterday so maybe possibly today. Gotta help grandson with his pine box derby car today so we'll see.
Thanks for reply
Bjrogg
PS I like to final tiller in hand with good video I can slow motion and freeze frame. I was kinda thinking like JW on this one.

I felt safer over here

Out of danger.

We're I could safely watch the whole show.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:37:47 am by bjrogg »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:31 am »
Goodfor you, Bj. I am glad you got it that far. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 07:19:15 am »
Thanks George this is really all just a experiment so far. Anyone have a opinion on shortening right limb and making it a bendy? 
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »
Well finished up working on the pinewood derby car with my grandson and picked up the holy roller bow again. It was very rewarding working with my grandson. He said he wants to learn how to make bows to. I put pencil marks where I wanted him to file wood block that would evolve into his car. I told him that I used these same tools to make my bows and that I put pencil marks on and filed them off to. Well she still didn't blow. I took her all the way to 37lbs @ 29" and held it there and took picture. I did this several times. Now I'm starting to think I might pike it and make it for my wife. It still pretty long 71" n-t-n
Maybe flip the tips
Here she is she might not have the prettiest curves at the dance but she's using what she's got
Bjrogg

JW

If your over here somewhere.

I think I'm going have a barley pop now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:54:36 pm by bjrogg »