Author Topic: BBI lets try it again.  (Read 8173 times)

Offline JWMALONE

BBI lets try it again.
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »
Well fellows if at first you don't succeed........ So ive got a 64 inch t2t bamboo backed ipe in the clamps. It will be 1 inch wide out 6 inches tapering to .5 inch tips.  Put some reflex in there, I kinda followed Pat b on his ALB lemon wood build. Lets see what happens.

https://imgur.com/a/PxYOI
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline gfugal

Re: BBI lets try it again.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:41:14 pm »
You sir have a lot of clamps. Is that a pretty stiff bamboo? I'm worried the Ipe will overpower it, but I'm no expert.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »
  That is a pretty safe design, at longer than 26" draw you might get a little stacking with the reflex coming right out of the handle. Careful tillering you can avoid it but you have to be careful not to get the area just outside the fades from bending too much.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:22:01 pm »
gfugal, the bamboo I worked down as recommended by others who have experience with this combo. !/8 inch in the handle to 1/16 at the tips. I went maybe a tad under, we are talking 64ths.
badger, I hope its a safe design. My actual draw is 26.25 so it should be ok. Thanks for the heads up on the fades.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:44:25 pm by JWMALONE »

Offline gfugal

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 05:24:33 pm »
ggugal, the bamboo I worked down as recommended by others who have experience with this combo. !/8 inch in the handle to 1/16 at the tips. I went maybe a tad under, we are talking 64ths.
badger, I hope its a safe design. My actual draw is 26.25 so it should be ok. Thanks for the heads up on the fades.
They would know more than me. So disregard what I said.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:47 pm »
It was a good question gfugal. That's why I start these threads. I'm no expert but there are lots of question that get asked and answered, lots of comments and advice others may find useful. I like reading others follow along help along type threads, so comment away.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
What glue are you using?  You may still be able to  crank down the mid limbs to distribute the reflex out a bit.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »
I used tb2, its way to late to adjust. Hard to tell in the pic but its not as abrupt as it looks. I will get some better ones tomorrow when it comes out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:12 pm »
Damn, the splinters from the last one hardly all hit the floor before you have another one on the form.
OK, this one will be a screamer!   ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
  Your bamboo looks good, I think this one will be a success.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »
Badger I thinking it will, just in case I got a batch of blue berry wine on stand by.
Pat, I had prepped this one mostly while the last one was clamped up, id be doing that now with another one if I had more wood.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:54:49 pm »
Well fellows she is out of the clamps. I cleaned the edges got the handle area closer to finish and put a facet on the bamboo back.  I tapered the belly from 1/2 inch to 3/8 before glue up based on what I saw while tillering the last piece of ipe, seemed to be just right.. I didn't want to go pushing it during a proper floor tiller for fear of snapping the ipe. Its pretty stiff out of the clamps, but I have enough wood to work with to accomplish a good tiller and go for the weight I want. So far so good. It has one inch of reflex, that's measured belly up, distance from back to table.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »
  That looks great, your taper should work out pretty good.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 05:11:36 pm »
I'm going to start writing these measurements down for future reference.

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 05:15:19 pm »
I'm going to start writing these measurements down for future reference.

I always tell myself I am going to write them down but I never do. I make a lot of laminated bows all different styles and draw weights so they are all very different. 95% of what I do is a simple boo or wood backed bow as yours is but I confess the multilams are my favorite, just a lot more work.