Author Topic: BBI lets try it again.  (Read 8246 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Re: BBI lets try it again.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 08:21:39 pm »
oh yea, I gained 3/16 of reflex.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 08:40:47 pm »
I'm confused. It looked like a ton of reflex on the clamps, and much less on the tree.  What did you glue in, and what did you get to keep when the clamps came off? 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »
When I glued it up I used 2by4 blocks  which is 3.5 inches tall, the handle is 1 .5  so that's 2 inches and it came out of the clamps with one inch even. That's measured by laying it belly up and measuring from the table to backing at the handle. Now I have 1 3/16 total. I was Following Pat B. and hoping to come out flat after shoot in, if it keeps a lil that's fine to.

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 09:08:30 pm »
Look like these?

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »
No ill take a pic tomorrow, the read out is on the handle. Its accurate but cant be used the way I want. 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
OK, must have been an optical illusion.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 06:33:12 am »
My son got me a fishing scales. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it feels right and is something consistent. I don't remember what it goes up to but it's at least 70lbs.  Really nice to have a scales in line.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »
Hello guys, had to work a lot so been gone a week or so.
 Here is were I'm at, its not really braced but the string is super tight, I needed a stringer to get it on. It pulls #40 @16 inches, I'm shooting for #50. Ive never used bamboo, ipe or tillered a reflex bow, which is now up to 1 3/8.
 I guess the inner limbs need to move more, also toward the outer.
For some reason it just feels different than the others ive done. Feels like it gets heavy real fast all of a sudden once it hits #40?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:19 pm »
John, will you post a pic of the unbraced profile.
 I have trouble tillering R/D style bows, I have trouble seeing good tiller.  I would leave the inner limbs alone until you get her tillered out a bit. You can probably go to low brace now but it's still a bit heavy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2018, 10:05:58 pm »
Pat, Ill get one tomorrow before I do any more.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 06:59:32 am »
  JW,
          I see a flat spot just out of the right fade...Looking good man...
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 09:43:39 am »
Unbraced profile pic. The reflex now reads 1 1/4. that's belly up measure from tables to back at the handle.
 Don I got that marked with my gizmo, its on both sides cant tell from the pic though.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 01:32:53 pm »
#47 @23 inches.

Offline Badger

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
  What's your target weight?? Have you changed it from the 70#. I notice you are reporting what 47# is at 23". I hit target weight right from the very beginning and keep it there till I hit desired draw length. Impossible to come in light that way. Also if you have an area of the bow that is starting to bend too much you find out early and can back off.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 02:44:33 pm »
Badger, I decided to go for #50.  A nice easy shooter for summer yet still heavy enough for hunting.  I usually do as you said and pull to target as soon as it bends even. But this is my first reflex, I got the mid limbs bending faster than the fade area. If I pulled it to 50 all the stress would have been concentrated in the mid limb area. I guess what I'm saying is this was kinda like my first bow all over again, next time I think I can get it bending even a lot sooner.