Author Topic: Releases  (Read 9559 times)

Offline DC

Releases
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:16:11 am »
I was wondering if anyone uses a release? I've only ever heard mention of thumb rings but I discovered there are lots of other primitive types that would probably fit in.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Releases
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:15:59 pm »
I've never used one, I like the feel of the string on my fingers. I do know folks that use a release though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:58 am »
DC I just use a finger tab. I have tried a thumb ring and if it weren't for the shooting off opposite side of bow I liked the feel of the release. I actually think it helped me with my release when using my tab. Someone once said relax your index finger and the rest will follow. That's how I shoot. I use a deep grip holding string all the way to stop on my tab. When I release I relax my index finger and the arrow is gone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »
ht   tp://www.archeryhistory.com/releases/releasesmain.htm

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:03:44 am »
I've seen most of them.  I was reading a British Flight website and he said something along the lines of,"All flight archers use a release of some sort, ranging from a strap of leather to modern releases." I've been wondering about the one that is apparently just a strap of leather. I don't know any more than that.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:52:23 am »
DC there was a article in PA magazine  about a year ago I think. It was a thumb release but it used a strap to hold the string and you released leather strap with thumb to make it work. I never tried making it but it was used with arrow on normal side of bow.
Bjrogg

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:14:17 pm »
one end loop around your wrist, then around the string, then pinched together with your thumb.

its the friction between the pinched pieces that you have to experiment with.

1 cm wide leather with blue cc ski wax?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:45 pm »
I made one of those type releases once for a fella that shoots a long bow that had overly sore knuckles.He was a carpet layer by trade.The knuckles of the index and middle fingers are relieved of tension on them then from the string.It did the trick for him but there still is a learning curve getting used to shooting with it like willie said.
Think it was build-a-long displayed in the PA magazine once.It's just a chunk of wood or antler with a leather strap attached to it.I actually think it is a quicker type release with less friction than with a finger release.I don't think as quick as a thumb ring though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »
I had a real short bowfishing bow ( not primitive) that pinched the tar out of my fingers. I made a release patterned after a release called gold 6 or gold 9 I think. Took a little fiddling with and tuning  but made a good clean release.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:30:20 pm »
one end loop around your wrist, then around the string, then pinched together with your thumb.

its the friction between the pinched pieces that you have to experiment with.

1 cm wide leather with blue cc ski wax?

So it's a pinch grip(thumb and forefinger) but you pinch the strap instead of the arrow?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:35:57 pm »
Yea DC that's the one I'm talking about to. There was a build along in one of the PA magazines awhile back.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 06:38:56 pm »
So like shooting 3 under, your nocks have to clip on to the string well. That just leads me to another problem. Oh well, I was just curious anyway. I does look primitive and effective though.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46:37 pm »
As far as releases for me the tried and true method KISS is the best......... even when I was shooting a compound I was shooting fingers.  My buddy was shooting a release a you cannt imagine how many times he came in to camp with release issue that made him miss a shot.
That made me give up on any kind of release. I think it has helped me over the years to tag out
JMHO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 06:55:16 pm »
The leather strap sounds pretty fool proof but fools can defeat just about anything. I cobbled one up and with my arthritic old thumbs I can't pinch hard enough to hold it reliably at full draw.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 08:29:19 pm »
DC if I get a chance I'll try looking back through my old magazines. I think it had some kind of notch or something you pressed leather strap against to help hold it.
Bjrogg