Author Topic: Releases  (Read 9460 times)

Offline willie

Re: Releases
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »
I can't pinch hard enough to hold it reliably at full draw.
just curious, how wide was the leather strap,
what did you dress the leather with?    there needs to be some king of friction helper
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:48:13 am by willie »

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:15 am »
About 3/4" and I didn't dress it. A little bow wax may help. Thinking about what BJ said. If a guy used 1/8" leather you could file a groove where you bend it around the string. That may help.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:06 pm »
DC I haven't had a chance to look yet but it seems more like it was a block of wood shaped right to fit in your hand. About maybe half inch wide leather strap went around front of string to thumb side of block. I don't remember exactly but I want to say there was a slight step making a 90 degree edge  on thumb side of block to squeeze strap against with thumb. I really can't remember but I'm pretty sure there was something to help your thumb hold but strap was still smooth for clean release.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:45 pm »
Thanks BJ, no rush.

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:18 pm »
like this?

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:02 pm »
I guess, I wonder what the knob is for? It doesn't look like they make them any more. Not a big seller?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:25 am »
like this?
That's the gadget I made.Looked around here which PA mg it was in but can't find it.
So like shooting 3 under, your nocks have to clip on to the string well. That just leads me to another problem. Oh well, I was just curious anyway. I does look primitive and effective though.
DC....A person can make self nock arrows that snap onto the string too.In fact tighter than plastic nocks if you want but that's not necessary.I have my arrows or try to anyway to hang onto the string and with just a slight tap of my finger they release.I don't like them too tight or too loose.Although a person can shoot the loose ones too if your careful.A dry fire can be the result though.Too tight and it can affect the flight of the arrow.Most times the wrap below the nock helps with your fingers to hold that on the lose fitting ones.I have a hobby file that is the exact same circumference as the bottom part of the throat of the arrow nock as my serving it goes onto.With the rest of the nock on the shaft is a slight bit tighter to get that snap onto the string feel or sound.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:00:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:40 am »
Yup that's it. I think it was about a year ago Ed maybe slightly more but no more than two I'd say. It wasn't quite that refined and didn't have a knob. It was hand made with plans to build I believe. It looked like it probably would work but seemed like something else for me to lose. It would probably help for arthritis in your fingers though and string pinch. Yes arrow would probably have to snap on string.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 11:16:51 am »
I can make arrows that snap on nicely but it never seems to last. Either the nock or the serving wears a bit and then they are too loose. I make all my strings the same, 8 strands of FF and use the same serving. I guess I'll have to do some before and after measuring to see which is wearing. I normally shoot Med style so the nock doesn't have to click on(I know it's safer if it does) but using this release they have to click on or they fall on the ground. Here's some pictures of what I came up with. I have to shoot with it more to see if it works. It probably still needs a little fiddling.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 04:00:19 pm »
Let me know how that type of release works for you.Your thumb will be the most used digit I suppose then.Squeezing aginst the index finger?
One can put a sliver of a horn insert into the nock area to reduce wear.Like so...

I would suggest wrapping the nock yet though too.Still that nock area should'nt wear out so soon even with wood alone.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »
I use Braided Spectra fishing line for serving. I just measured it and it doesn't show any wear. Maybe that's my job for the rest of today. see if i can figure out what's happening. The arrows are bamboo, i would think it would wear well. We'll see.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »
I tried a dozen or so shots and it releases great but I was having trouble holding it. Can't pinch hard enough. So I folded the end over and stitched it to make a little knob. Now I can hold it reasonably well but when I release it the little knob I made flips around and smacks my index finger knuckle. It really hurts ;D. I don't think I could put up with that for long. A little more thought maybe.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:02 pm »
Changed a couple of things. I stiffened the section the arrow is pointing at. This made it effortless to hold at full draw so I cut off the knob that was smacking my finger. Now that I wasn't concentrating on holding it I noticed that it was biting into my middle finger where the loop is so I widened that a bit. It really seems to release nicely. It still smacks my knuckle a bit but I could live with that. It's not as comfortable as  my normal tab so I don't know if I'll use it. More practice I think. Somehow it seems like cheating though. ;D ;D

Offline willie

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 05:25:24 pm »
might work bettter if you were holding the draw weight with your wrist or elbow even.
freeing your hand up for just releasing the arrow could let you release a number of different ways.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:20 pm »
That's a thought. I was going for the tab replacement look. What I don't want is a "Take it off and put in a little bag between shots thing".