Author Topic: Metal strip tightening for bending recurves?  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Chief RID

Re: Metal strip tightening for bending recurves?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:51 am »
Mystery solved. Thanks Marc.

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 06:45:11 pm »
I copied Marc's bending jig. I tried it on a rough cut piece of Ocean Spray 1/2" thick x 3/4" wide. No prep, 1 1/2" radius. I got a very usable bend even though there was a knot right in the middle of the bend. I would have had to kerf this using my methods. I think my strap was slipping before and Marc's jig holds tight. So I went ahead on the bow I'm making. Black Locust 3/8" thick X 3'4" wide. Went slicker than owl excrement. It's cooling now. here's a pic of the OS

Offline gfugal

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »
I copied Marc's bending jig. I tried it on a rough cut piece of Ocean Spray 1/2" thick x 3/4" wide. No prep, 1 1/2" radius. I got a very usable bend even though there was a knot right in the middle of the bend. I would have had to kerf this using my methods. I think my strap was slipping before and Marc's jig holds tight. So I went ahead on the bow I'm making. Black Locust 3/8" thick X 3'4" wide. Went slicker than owl excrement. It's cooling now. here's a pic of the OS
Wow that's impressive. Glad I asked
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »
 Oh, well.  As much as I hate thinking ahead and being prepared, I guess I'll have to build a similar set-up, or at least improve the one I have..

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:34 pm »
Here's the recurve. One little splinter lifted on the edge because I took it off the form to soon. A drop of CA took care of that. With the wood sandwiched between the form and the strap it takes a while to dry.