Author Topic: Latest Three  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Latest Three
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:35:10 pm »
I kept working on making a knife that was very thin, and kept breaking the pieces in the very last stages of thinning. Finally I decided to settle for a little thicker and got a pretty good one. It is West Texas Chert from Kinley Coyan, premium rock by any standards. The handle is post oak, a type of white oak, heart wood. The finish is bee's wax with a trace of charcoal in it.

The two points came from two of the broken pieces (I have several) left from failed knife attempts. The Cache River type (dark color) is prettier in hand than in the photo.

WA

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Latest Three
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »
Those look really good! Gotta love making good points from broken blades.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:42:35 pm »
Nice work

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:50:57 pm »
Very  nice work.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
Sweet group Chip
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:39 pm »
Great points and the knife is beautiful, both the blade and handle...👍

Offline swataramike

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
great pieces chippin...you do some steller work

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:25:27 am »
Wow Chip! Keep’em comin
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 05:59:02 am »
Very nice chip. They all look good to me. The more we improve the nicer they are when we break them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:52 pm »
Nice looking points and blade, W.A. I like the couture and “rays” in that post oak – pretty stuff. You’ve got the harvest tools and the cleaning tool, now all you need is the BOW!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »
Nonbacked, I cut an osage yesterday and hope to learn at least the basics of bow building before I use it all up. Just a few minutes ago I split out a low quality stave and have taken a little off it. I said low quality because the growth rings in this stave are very tight together on the top end. Some of the other staves will have good thick growth rings, but it is better to do my worst blunders on a second rate stick.

I am planning to try to take off the white wood (1/2 inch thick) and chase the very first heart ring. That may be the only way I can chase a ring on this piece.

WA

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 06:27:08 pm »
I’m sure Sasquatch told you how to seal and season the splits. Pretty much all Osage is good bow material, so you may be starting on the “most difficult” piece, not the easy stuff. Your skills and attention to detail with the knapping crafts will carry-over to the primitive bowyer craft. Anyway, you’ll get lots of advice and comments on the BOW section of the forum – post a few pictures of your splits (backs, sides, and end grain), and begin another adventure!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 06:48:24 pm »
Nice work. That is a very nice knife

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Yea Chip like non backed said. I'm thinking your attention to detail knapping you'll do great as a bowyer. I'd take the sapwood off all those staves and seal the backs and end with a couple coats of shellac or something similar. You don't want the back or ends to dry to fast. You want the stave to dry through the belly. Don't be afraid to post pictures and ask questions in the bow section. There is a vocabulary to learn that will help you communicate but I think it's easier to teach and learn than knapping.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:12 pm »
Great work WA,  Ive seen them first hand and they are thin!