Author Topic: Tiller Check: 63" Hickory D-bow  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Tiller Check: 63" Hickory D-bow
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:48:43 pm »
Hey guys,

I recently made this bow. It was a Rudderbows hickory stave that was already roughed out, I backed it with rawhide and tillered it, I shortened it from its original length at 65" ttt to 63" ttt to pick up more weight. It pulls 46#@29" right now and I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on its tiller. I personally think its okay, I think the tips might be a little stiff and maybe the handle could work a little more, since this bow is intended to be a bendy handle D-bow. I have shot 59 arrows through this bow so far and there is some handshock on the release, I don't know if it that's because of the tiller or because the tips are relatively wide at 15/16", and in case you're wondering I made a proper bowstring for this bow to shoot with, I did not shoot the bow with the tillering string shown in the picture so I don't think that's the problem. Your advice and/or critiques are greatly appreciated. 

https://imgur.com/3AM9wOG

Thanks,

Aaron 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller Check: 63" Hickory D-bow
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:01:28 pm »
To me the handle is working a bit too much but the outer limbs could bend a bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:22 pm »
I agree with Pat, but not bad at all if you're new to this.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Julian

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:24:03 pm »

definitely thin the tips. Almost 1" is far too thick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »
Julian, are you saying narrow or thin?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:27 pm »
About middle third of the rt limb is bending more than the rest, i'd get that outer part of that limb bending a bit more and hopefully that is the top limb.  Narrowing the tips would certainly be a good idea. 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:46 am »
I think your hand shock is coming from a combination of a little too much bend in handle and the the tips being too heavy/wide. I would take the last 4-5" and taper to 1/2" just to be safe. You could probably go narrower but I bet your most of your shock goes away. Just my thoughts.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
I think it looks just fine. Those bows have hand shock. I've never shot a working handle like this that didn't have some. That's why risers and fades came along.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:38 am »
That comment confirms what someone else just said in a different post :-X Anyway...not every bendy handle has hand shock, just like not every stiff handle bow doesn't.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:52:33 am »
I don't agree you, like you don't agree with me. And that's ok. I think we can still use the same website? Right?

As far as the "different" thread you referred to. Its fortunate to have stayed civil thus far. Lets leave it that way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:42 am »
I think hand shock in a bow is like recoil in a gun. Some like it, some don't. Some notice it, some don't. Some designs have more, nothing can be done about it. Can it be lessened? Yep. Made worse? Definitely.

That said, narrowing the tips some, and having a more rigid (less working) handle would REDUCE the shock.

Shoot the bow, have fun with it, try something different on the next one.

Kyle

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 11:47:43 am »
I think your hand shock is coming from a combination of a little too much bend in handle and the the tips being too heavy/wide. I would take the last 4-5" and taper to 1/2" just to be safe. You could probably go narrower but I bet your most of your shock goes away. Just my thoughts.
If I do narrow the tips, do have to remove a little wood, exercise the limbs to see if the tiller changes, take off some more wood, and do it all over again or can I just go straight to 1/2" and only check the tiller once? Something tells me the former is what I'd have to do but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 01:00:48 pm »
Outer mid limb and outer thirds need more bend. Bendy handle bows tilllered right doesn't have hand shock, thats ridiculous lol.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:57 pm »
Like has been said, properly tillered bows don't have much handshock, I agree with the handle working too much assessment, the outer limbs look flat to me. 

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
I took off some wood off of the tips, tapered the last 5" of each limb down to 1/2" nocks and this is what the tiller looks like now. I don't think it looks that different. The handshock never really bothered me to begin with but I know that well tillered bows don't have much handshock so I figured that was a sign that improvements could be made, but the handshock has decreased with the now narrower tips but the draw weight has decreased as well. It used to pull 46#@29" but now it pulls 43#@29". My draw length is 28 1/4" and I tiller my bows to 29" just for good measure, at 28" it pulls 41#. I included some other pictures that I didn't before, such as the bow braced and what the bow layout looks like. This was a bow Rudderbows roughed out, I bought this almost 2 years ago now and I would never buy this style again because of those scalloped edges. Those scalloped edges make it hard to keep a flat surface when using a scraper to remove wood from the belly, what happened was I had multiple stiff spots from places I couldn't keep flat and I knew that was going to be a problem so I gave up on using a scraper and used a 49 Nicholson rasp for tillering instead. The rasp did a better job keeping the belly flat but I don't like the rasp marks, I don't know how I'm going to get those out without losing even more draw weight. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Aaron
  https://imgur.com/4ppgJTR
https://imgur.com/EYIP1yF
https://imgur.com/UpMKpXn
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:46:24 pm by ajbruggink »