Author Topic: a little curious  (Read 6386 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: a little curious
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 06:25:43 pm »
I've missed your posts. Keep doin' what your doin' and posting the pictures.  :OK

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:55:36 pm »
Where did I see that coyote bow & arrow quiver along with that bow before. It's hanging in my house thanks Rich.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »
I love ballistics and long range shooting and all that technical stuff with my firearms but the beauty of primitive archery comes with the simplicity. I loved watching the movies and reading the stories of the natives when I was younger and it was the coolest thing finding an atlatl head when the water was low on the river. So far I’ve made a few bows and they’ve all been the scrape and pull. Judging tiller with my eyes. Not the most efficient and best but I like em. Yours all look great!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:34 pm »
I love the quivers and bow cases that you have made. The bows are outstanding . one day God willing I will try my hand at a coyote bow case. they almost look to good to take out of the house, i could look at this type of art all day and never get bored. I need you to tell me how you tanned the hides with the fur on without it slipping.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »
+2 on the hair on hide tanning!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 02:30:17 am »
I enjoy both ends of the spectrum, and am not sure why some of those that focus on primitive would feel marginalized if the discussion gets technical. That said, I have noticed the loss of interest by some like Rich. There is always an ebb and flood of members and participation, but if folks are hesitant to post, who would otherwise participate, then perhaps it is time for a dedicated primitive bow section.

My view is that this forum follows the interests of the magazine and it subscribers, and primitive archery was the original focus, so Primitive Bows should get top billing, especially as we have recently added forges and muzzleloaders.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:38 am »
I do miss seeing and reading about your bows Rich and others that build that type, I am not much on the tech side either but appreciate those that are, their is room for both, as was said where do you draw the line, I tell folks " I make wood bows" That is about as far as it goes for me. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 06:20:19 am »
    It is obvious that I left the wrong impression in the initial post. Willie makes a good point, so let me clarify.
    I do not think there should be a special section for primitive bows. The entire site is supposed to be about primitive archery. The point I was trying to make is that a post on primitive doesn't need a lot of comment on how fast-flight would make it shoot faster, using the modern epoxy glues will make it better, etc.  Basically if a person posts a primitive bow they dont need the techno-speak questions. Likewise there is no need for all the attitude about they are simple, too easy to make, have a load of vibration, are too slow and never going to win a flight shoot etc. The analogy would be to try and explain why a person wants to shoot a flintlock smooth-bore and go back in time and enjoy the experience of doing so. No body asks why they are not glass bedded, synthetic stocked, scope mounted etc. most people just get it.
    I am not good at picking examples etc. but please do not think I am advocating a "special section" for primitive bows, or that it's a matter of being a "primitive snob", there is way to much of that stuff anyway. Maybe a little more respect all around would help.
rich

PS: I am going to shut up now, but Willie maybe you were correct on that matter also. Just a natural order of recycling people, probably a good thing in the end. 

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 06:42:12 am »
Rich, bows like yours are what I love about this site. The bows you have posted in the past are what get my bow making juices flowing. I have many future projects in my head and most of them are of similar styles to the work you do. I hope you continue to post more in the future.

Mike

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 08:16:34 am »
I don't think we need a separate thread either. Like stated the name of this site is primitive archer. Sometimes I feel as though it strays a little too far from that.

There was talk a few years back about a sticky on actual Native American bows, and picture references. It'd be awesome to be able to reference what tribes made what type of bows, shooting styles, and all that good stuff.  I'm thinking that has always been and still is a good idea for the forum. Not sure why it never happened.  We've got stickies about all kinds of other stuff.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 01:06:43 pm »
I don't make a lot of bows for myself. When I do it can be anything from a high performance recurve to a simple D bow. Makes no difference to me, I like them all
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
guess I follow what you are saying  a bit better, now Rich. One thing that I have noticed is that some folks present their work with a well documented post, something that takes no small amount of time and effort, just like the building of bow/kit. Some of the threads created by European members come to mind. Perhaps the professionalism? of this "presentation" theme implies a more elegant response is called for? I think we can all agree it is a bit annoying to see some posts get derailed by irrelevant comments.

Here is a thread that I have hoped would  come back to life more often....

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=58067.15

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 02:36:44 pm »
The only thing about calling a comment irrelevant is that sometimes the person asking it is new to this lifestyle and doesn't know. If the questions are answered and explained by the people that build these bows in a non condescending way they will learn quicker the attitude of the person building the style bow that Rich and a lot of other people enjoy building. I like building a bend in the handle bow occasionally and when I teach someone the first time I meet them that is usually the style I go too. Simply, because you can make a shooter in a very short time with simple tools. This allows a newby to grasp the fundamentals of bow building with simple tools, feel good about a bow that shoots and hook another one ;D. Like said, there's room for everybody and different style bows here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:42 pm »
I haven't posted any bows for a while now, but I am still building them I have a few in the works now.

And like you Rich I drop in once and a while just to check things out.

I don't get into all the technical aspects when I build my bows.  I do very measuring with a tape measure, mostly eye balling, I like to feel the taper of the bow limb with my fingers.
And as long as the bow feel good in hand with a smooth draw man that is perfect for me.

Oh ya that first otter quiver set looks familiar.  lol   My son sports it when we attend our local archery shoots.  You do amazing work thanks my friend.

I haven't posted this bow its the one I made in the Native bow challenge the thread willie is referring to. 

Maybe when the weather warms up I will gets some pics posted.
Northern Ute

Offline Morgan

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 10:04:03 am »
My thoughts.... We all share the same passion. We come from different areas and walks of life, but all have a desire to take a raw chunk of wood, horn, or bamboo and make it bend suitable to cast an arrow.
 I love the native bows, particularly the eastern Cherokee and creek styles. My personal taste is a modestly finished bow, stiff to slightly bending in a very small handle section. I make that bow very much personalized to me, with no desire to replicate any other style or historically accurate artifact. When I rough that bow out of a tree split stave and spend hours making it bend evenly, and put a string on it......that is a primitive bow regardless of the material it is strung with or oil it wears. I put little no thought into the mathematical aspect of it..... There are those that do,  and they do so for the purpose of getting the very most out of the raw natural material they are working with.
The bows they make are also primitive.
I would wager that those of  our ancestors that were truly masters at making bows, took their own approach to achieve a fast shooting, low set, long lasting bow.
My heart will always lie in the more simple bows, but I’m in awe of the works of art others produce, and do not believe that they are any less primitive in function or base materials.
I think we are a small community and all have so much in common whether we use tite bond or hide glue.
I want to see all the bows that y’all can make, from the simplest sapling D bow to the elegant recurves.