Author Topic: Log loading trailer  (Read 7038 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Log loading trailer
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:42:17 pm »
I've had issues with my lower back ever since an accident when I was in school.  I haven't been very smart with how I've taken care of it since then.  In fact, I've been pretty stupid with some of the things I've done over the years.  I figured it was time to start taking care of it better.  I started looking into ways to load logs and other heavy objects without physically picking them up.  This is what I came up with.     

Last summer I found an old boat trailer for a good price.  It didn't look like much. 

I sanded, primered, painted, added supports under the deck, added side pockets, and beefed up the tongue. I also added a receiver in the front to plug a winch into.

I decided to go with an arch lifting rig.   It uses a winch and a pivoting arch to lift logs onto the trailer.  I use a 4000 lb winch and a snatch block to move the arch.  You lower arch and chain it to a log.  When you pull the arch back up it lifts the log and sets it on the trailer.  You have to readjust the position on the log once.  To unload them I chained them to the UTV and just drug them off the back of the trailer.  It takes a little longer than loading by hand but it saves a lot of back aches.  I'm going to use it to load and haul a tractor tiller box for my brother in law later this week.  I plan to build a smaller ATV log hauler as soon as I can find the right kind of axles. 

My Dad had to supervise the operation.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

Re: Log loading trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:49:11 pm »
Very cool! Lots of reflex(or deflex) in that log ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:17 pm »
 Very cool Clint. I'm sure you will make great use of it. Lot of work handling all those long logs. That should save a load off your back.
Bjrogg
PS next you'll have to figure a way to get it to split and clean up the back. It might as well seal the ends and backs right away to.  )W( :BB and nice logs👍
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:00:32 pm »
Yes that is pretty cool.  I would imagine that it might get interesting if you don't have the trailer well hitched to your truck
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »
Yes that is pretty cool.  I would imagine that it might get interesting if you don't have the trailer well hitched to your truck

I made supports to go in the back side pockets right behind the wheels.  Kind of like out riggers on a crane.  It kept the trailer from sinking in the back.  It was more stable than I expected. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:20 pm »
Brilliant engineering.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:59 pm »

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:52:47 pm »
That’s gotta be the coolest trailer I’ve seen! Maybe a cup holder for a beer but it seems about perfect for the job!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:58:40 pm »
I like the idea, but I would make one change. I would make the lifting frame an A Frame instead of a Square Frame. You should get a lot of use out of that rig.

How heavy is that frame to lift? Is it a struggle to get it into place and then to disconnect. I know the winch can pull it up, but it looks like there will be some hand work to get it positioned and hooked up, then to disconnect and put down.

WA

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:26 pm »
Another cool build from the master of redneck engineering!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:44 pm »
I thought about going with an A frame but decided against it.  With the 2 supports in the corners it's plenty strong enough for what I need to lift. 
I only have to lift the arch one time while setting it up.  I take it past vertical and hook the winch to it.  Its a little heavy but nothing compared to lifting a large log. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:48 pm »
Looks real handy!  Should even handle a moose!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 03:13:15 am »
Way cool Clint  :OK ! Gotta take care of that back - wish I'd done that (wised up) at Your age. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:05:42 am »
Very nice Clint, yep beats trying to pick them up. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:19:59 am »
Pretty cool.. Anything to save a back..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano