Author Topic: Cut in shelf questions.  (Read 15911 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Cut in shelf questions.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 08:21:35 am »
Why would it be harder to shoot?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 08:32:54 am »
At what draw weight would a cut in shelf become dodgy? I've heard of bows breaking at the shelf area. I do like a shelf and figure if I retain the same width next to the shelf as the handle would've been without one, then it shouldn't be any weaker than what the handle would've been in the first place. I could be wrong, I am only a novice.

Bow wood is 8 times stronger in thickness compared to width. According th Bowyers Bible I think that's right. I cut hundreds just like I explained above. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 08:36:58 am »
This is how I've been making cut in shelves lately.  I think they look and feel great on a selfbow.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:50 am »
I wonder what Ben Pearson new about bow building and how many he sold. God bless his soul. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:46:26 am »
This is how I've been making cut in shelves lately.  I think they look and feel great on a selfbow.

Yep that's a nice one not like the Indians did it though. Arvin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 09:00:40 am »
Love that grip Clint. Too bad its not primitive like a metal take down sleeve set is.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:12 am »
I cut my shelfs to center of the bow but not past center. I come up 1-1/4" from center .i also have a 10 inch handle. I use my band saw to cut the shelf. I like to have at least 1-1/2" thick handle section. I don't cut the shelf till the bow is tillered. And yes Jim I know it's not primitive but they shoot better!

That's my process. Except not so deep that it's center shot. Maybe bit more than 1/4" deep. Be sure to radius shelf so arrow is resting on minimum bit of wood.
Osage Outlaw makes good lookin' comfy handles.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 09:11:39 am »

Yep that's a nice one not like the Indians did it though. Arvin

Most of my bows are not native inspired.  They are just wood bows made however I feel like making them  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 09:16:48 am »
I do think most selfbow cut shelves create interference  because the  window is too restricted.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 09:24:37 am »
Pat they do require a bit longer handle . Mine are 9-10" depending on the stave. I like 1" of limb for every inch of draw. So if the stave is a bit short of my desired length I sometimes shorten my handle a inch. Most all my bows are 67-69" long. Heck some even have recurve grips . Arvin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 09:34:08 am »
I do think most selfbow cut shelves create interference  because the  window is too restricted.

Pat, IMO there is no more interference than making a 1" wide handle and adding leather or cork to make the exact same shape in the exact same window in the exact same space. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:56 am »
In my world the only advantage a cut in shelf would give me is that the arrow shaft can rest on the bow in more positions than without a shelf while hunting in a stand for instance.There are cute ways with a small rubber band to hold that shaft there on the shelf.
In the end if the arrow flys clean and true for the shooter.That's all that counts.I personally want 0 restrictions or bumps etc. in the way of my shaft in the beginning of the release.
I feel the same way about my constructions on bows.It's personal thing with handles.My no shelf bulbous handles feel very comfortable to me too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 09:51:45 am »

Pat, IMO there is no more interference than making a 1" wide handle and adding leather or cork to make the exact same shape in the exact same window in the exact same space.

Yes, that could be done better too. ;)   I think in both cases the execution could be a bit more open. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:26 am »
I make a lot of my fades near 3" now that bow length isn't so scary to me anymore. Even when I don't cut a shelf in.

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 10:14:03 am »
That's the key. Many do short fades and notch the shelf in or you'll also see  super long fades that take about 3 inches of limb out of action and don't use that section  to full advantage for a window without a ceiling on it.