Author Topic: Cut in shelf questions.  (Read 15903 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Cut in shelf questions.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 11:29:55 am »
FG shooters I shoot with have the concern about the reference point on the handle can change too much to suit them they think.I and others who shoot off their knuckle don't seem to have that problem.
As long as the string nock and dot on the handle are in line things shoot consistent.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »
I wonder what Ben Pearson new about bow building and how many he sold. God bless his soul. Arvin

Thank you for SO MASTERFULLY MAKING MY POINT.  Pearson bows were not primitive archery. If you want to make a bow that is the fastest, or most stable or easiest to shoot, you don't care a fig about primitive bows. You might just as well buy a carbon fiber example.

Bows that imitate space age designs are not primitive.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 01:14:46 pm »
Love that grip Clint. Too bad its not primitive like a metal take down sleeve set is.

A round take-down sleeve is primitive in that its section is round and straight, like an ELB. Pistol grip handles came in with 1950s recurves. A long bow or AFB needs to be shot from the heel of the hand, not the web of the thumb. The fact that a bow can be demounted from the handle does not make the handle shape modern. And the only reason I make take-downs is that I don't have any good wood long enough to make a one-piece bow. If I did, I'd still make the handle long and straight.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »
I wonder what Ben Pearson new about bow building and how many he sold. God bless his soul. Arvin

Thank you for SO MASTERFULLY MAKING MY POINT.  Pearson bows were not primitive archery. If you want to make a bow that is the fastest, or most stable or easiest to shoot, you don't care a fig about primitive bows. You might just as well buy a carbon fiber example.

Bows that imitate space age designs are not primitive.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what makes a bow primitive.  Your view is exactly that, it's yours.  That doesn't mean everyone else has to have the same opinion on what makes a bow primitive.   

If you want to make a bow that is the fastest, or most stable or easiest to shoot, you don't care a fig about primitive bows. You might just as well buy a carbon fiber example.

This statement has me dumbfounded.  So if I try to build a fast, stable bow for hunting season that means I don't care a fig newton about primitive bows?  Really?  If I'm trying to kill an animal with a selfbow I want it to be the best possible bow that I'm capable of making.   So in  your opinion everyone should be building slow, hand shocky bows that are hard to shoot so they can say they are primitive? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 02:25:17 pm »
  Modern technology has given us the knowledge to advance  old technology to new levels.  I'm all for that. 

I think it's great that we've learned how to re-visit  things that were maybe being close to obsolete  and getting a bit more out of them.

If you can make an advanced space age design out of a piece of wood, more power to you.

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 02:29:27 pm »

A round take-down sleeve is primitive in that its section is round and straight, like an ELB.
Now you're just modifying the rules to suit your opinion. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »
   I have always liked all wood bows and natural materials but could care squat if it is primitive or not. I just like all wood.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 02:36:50 pm »
 I like cut in windows on some of my bows.  I like locator grips a lot, and even w/o a cut in shelf, I often have a bevelled leather tab, hemp binding, or whatever for a partial arrow rest.

The only real issue is that you have to respect the wood for what it is.  I have seen so many guys over the years try to make essentially all- wood copies of FG bows, and it just doesn't work well that way.  Like Dean Torges said, the ability to, say, slightly crown out your fadeouts on the belly allows you to make that transition better and more gently than a FG bowyer ever could.  BUT.  You often also NEED all the limb length you can get on a wood bow, and a massive riser with a huge cut out shelf costs you that.

DOING it is fairly easy.  Make sure you have that little extra thickness in the handle, and that the bow has all the mass in both thickness and width it needs right at the fades.  I put the grip where I always put it; the base of my thumb in the physical middle of the bow, mark below my pinky, and three fingers above my index finger.  Fades extend maybe  2" above and below that, crowd the transitions a little, and the whole thing can be about 10-11" long.  Usually I make these bows with more symmetrical limb length.

Then just don't get too aggressive about how tall or deep the cutout is.  I cut well in, but don't see the need to force the bow to be centershot.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »
 :NN -C- -C- -C- -C- (W (W (-S (-S ;D
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »
 (-P play nice everyone . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2018, 03:29:31 pm »
But Pappy you know I am a Texan. Oookkkk.    Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 05:04:29 pm »
One thing I was totally unaware of. We have some mind readers on here who can tell me what my opinion is when I have not stated it.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »
The term is inferring, not mind reading. ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 05:46:32 pm »
One thing I was totally unaware of. We have some mind readers on here who can tell me what my opinion is when I have not stated it.
You did see the smiles didn't you/ Sorry if I offended.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:01 pm »
well I really dont have anything to say that has not been said,,,I dont put a shelf on my bows just because I dont want too,, I just  like it better that way,, I prefer the look of it too,, )P(