Author Topic: Cut in shelf questions.  (Read 15866 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Cut in shelf questions.
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:00 am »
Second to my family I live for wooden bows, I have no use for score keeping. The two don't correlate with me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:10 am »
I understand Pearl different stokes for different folks. Some don't like golf. But it would seem some would commit for the team. Primitive Archer has supported in the past . May still I don't know about that. I thank them for their support.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline rps3

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2018, 10:01:48 am »
In my mind, a cut in shelf and a glued on piece of leather are the same thing, with the latter having its shelf cut off first, then put back on. I like them both, but shoot much more accurately with something for the arrow to rest on.

Offline PatM

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2018, 10:32:12 am »
Look Pat the Problem is the primitive is not showing up to promote what they love. I am not trying to be rude or smart here . This is just the facts. I wish that there was a big enough crowd their to possibly do some good for their love of primitive bows. Arvin

Why is that a problem?  I feel no obligation to promote and I really doubt competition classes for selfbows would do much if anything in that regard.

I doubt primitive bows are going anywhere but I don't feel bad saying that I really wouldn't care if I was the last guy on Earth making them.  Most of us probably do this entirely for out own reasons and while its nice to share it's certainly not THE reason.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »
Have a good day Pat. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2018, 08:05:59 pm »
 ??? Primitive bow/wooden bows, don't really see the difference.  ;) Scoring on a target or scoring on game, we all strive for the same thing,to make good shots. :) and by the way I don't play golf. ;) :) :) :) :) Good night all. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2018, 08:22:17 pm »
Pappy, all that grinning is going to make your face hurt!
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2018, 06:56:41 am »
Yep Jim, sometime on here I just have to smile. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline FilipT

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2018, 02:44:01 am »
My questions, both demonstrated with pictures:

1. If you make a shelf in the bow, can you make it in the fades that are 2" apart from the center* of the bow? To clarify, handle is 4" long and center is in middle, and fades are 2" long. That means that you will pull arrow 2" above the center of bow, so why not just modify pulley to pull 2" from center while you tiller and naturally get stronger lower limb?

2. Could another option be this one? No shelf and concave fades that allow arrow to perfectly pass 2" above the center of bow.

* - When I say center, I mean literally middle of bow. Also center of handle is to me same as center of bow, but hook on my pulley is simply put wherever I want arrow in future to be.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:49:12 am by FilipT »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2018, 03:27:30 pm »
as long as the bow shoots well,,, anything is ok, and really anything is ok,,, even if it does not shoot well,, just up to the maker,, if you want someone to shoot it and enjoy it,, shooting well is a plus,,its pretty simple in that regard,, the bottom line is hitting the target,, if it does that,, everything else is secondary to me,, tiller ,, shelf, limb lengh,, design,, the most important thing to me is hitting,, if the arrow is in the bulls eye,,,, then that says it all, and its not subjective,, well guess it coule be,, : sorry didnt mean to leave out the flight shooter,, good arrow flight and distance for them,, (W

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »
Wow yea what ever mister brad smith says...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bassman

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2019, 01:31:51 pm »
When I make bows for myself always a shelf. When I attempt to make a replica native bow , no shelf.When I build a bow for some one what ever they want.For my grand kids always a shelf. I have reasons why, but I won,t get in to them. Some guys have referred to bows with shelves as shelf bows not self bows.Every body has a preference. It is what makes the world go round.JMO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
I'm a "to each his own kinda" guy. I personally don't make mine with a shelf but not because I'm a purist because I don't think there really is such a thing in this day and age. Some might think they are but if its a not full blown stone tool, sinew string etc... its all a self made illusion. I  have made a few bows for people that ask for a shelf and I did the stacked leather and superglue thing, otherwise I think the reason I don't do it is I don't feel its necessary for me to shoot well ( I rarely do anyway).

I view wood bow both as a artform and a craft. A mix of form and function.

I will say, that handle that Clint posted is beautiful and doesn't take anything away from it at all. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline HH~

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2019, 01:52:00 am »
Clint that bow looks like it'll make a good hunt rig. Made these two at same time. I know that one on the left has killed a bunch of critters.

Shelf suits my shooting style well. I have and shoot more traditional style primitive bows as well but for hunting I like the shelf.

Shawn~
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:58:19 am by Smag »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW