Author Topic: Snow geese migration  (Read 3348 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Snow geese migration
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:03 am »
Shades of spring coming over me here.Nice extended warm front the last few days here.Into the 50's.Snow geese flying northwest.Every day large groups going by lately.I'm no goose hunter really but it's fun to see.I do like to eat goose though....lol.Even tame ones!!!
I'll try to get pics but they are pretty darn high for my cheapy camera to pic up.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Snow geese migration
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:59:58 am »
We have bald eagles all over, counted 14 Sunday morning. They make a week long appearance every spring to eat all the winter kill gizzard shad in the lake.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:23:27 am »
We are going to try to get out a bit further east and locate a feeding area to bag a few.  There are some flying in our Front Range, but most are further out on the plains.
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
Some Canada's flew over the house this morning.  That's almost a month sooner than we usually see them
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
We have some local canadian geese that never do go anywhere.Stay here year round.Must be the large lake and ponds we have here or the climate maybe?They do have plenty of corn fields to feed on that's for sure.They must of defected to the USA permanently I suppose???....lol.They do make quite a racket flying very low every spring morning reestablishing their mating bonds themselves as previous mated pairs looking to nest somewhere,but hav'nt started to do that yet.
Quite a bunch of canadians stay here really.I have eaten a few of those.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:01 pm »
Hot Dog (SH) (AT) )P(
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:00:54 pm »
I've never seen a Canada stick around all winter up here.  They'll stay till Dec. on a good year and don't come back till March.  Mallards do stay year round though but only within the small city nearby
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:02:57 am »
Surprising saw a field yesterday that looked like the snow never melted cause there was so many snow geese in it. Usually have to go to BowEd’s neck of the woods to see large numbers of snows. Saw a lot flying over at the game farm in the northern part of Missouri this weekend.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:43:37 am »
Cool...They are'nt landing here like I wish they would.Largest amount of birds I've ever seen was along the Missouri fly way by De Soto bend in western Iowa.So many it's hard to describe.I don't know how the DNR comes up with the estimated numbers they say....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:45:12 am »
Ed,
They take a scientific w.a.g - how many fit into a picture of a known area and multiply >:D, give or take a few thousand!  Either way, it is a lot of geese!  I guess if you shoot at one and knock down 3, it is a lot more geese!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 01:05:04 pm »
good to know they're on the way back. Might have to get out for a spring shoot
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:40:10 pm »
Some from the past
Zuma
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:43:59 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:35 am »
Started seeing the songbirds flocking together to fly north for the summer 2 weeks ago down here...waiting to see the first Kites from S America, it’ll be anytime now.
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 04:26:01 pm »
Nice pics Greg.Quite a specteckle.Was that from last years excursion?
I see Parnell.It seems everybody in their own area have travlers going through.Cool.
Robin and me had some business north of us.She of course had her camera.Along the way maybe 15 miles north a group of what I thought were snow geese but I see they are a grey type goose too.Completely different than snow geese.They were taking a break I suppose in what we call here the pin oak marsh.Is that white headed one in the close up pic in the center an immature snow goose?Maybe a cross bred?....lol.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:55:35 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:35:41 pm »
Ed
My buddy says you are correct about some juvenial snows. Also some Ross (small white geese). The dark ones are Blue Geese a Canada/Snow mix. Sometimes there are Speckels which are off limits in the spring. None in close-up I can see.
Thanks for the pics Robin! Oh BTW thanks Ed the ones I posted were from 2016. I have videos that are amazing.
I can send them in email if I get a PM
Zuma