Author Topic: Any dodge diesel guys?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline sleek

Any dodge diesel guys?
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
Im buying a 97 2500 for 4k. Its a company truck with all its maintenance records and has a brand new trans. Its got the 5.9 cummins but really seems to lack power. It wont even spin its tires. Its all stock. Any clues?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ksnow

Re: Any dodge diesel guys?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:38 am »
A quick google search resulted in hundreds of threads about lack of power in high mileage Cummins engines.  Fuel pumps, lift pumps, air filters, fuel filters, all sorts of issues.

Good luck.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:02:29 pm »
As much as I like those old dodge cummins, that would worry me. It should have good power.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:47:16 pm »
Thanks Ksnow, i did a search of course but didnt want to join a forum. Thought perhaps a few guys here may be gear heads also.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »
As much as I like those old dodge cummins, that would worry me. It should have good power.

See, thats just it. It didnt have what i expected. But, being my first ever, I didnt know what to expect. I thought if at a stop and i go full throttle it would spin the tires. Nooe, just a decent push off the start, but not much different that my 5.2 gas engine in my dodge I have currently. I didnt see smoke on start up, or under heavy throttle, but perhaps I missed it.

The engine sounds like every other diesel i ever heard so I assume its fine internally. With everythung being mechanical on thise older 5.9s, whatever is wrong should be an easy fix...  Maybe its fine, just that its a stock engine and needs mods to bring out some if its potential.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:46:49 pm »
There's a reason you don't see any diesel drag racers Kevin.  ;)
But you do see a LOT of diesel long haul trucks.  :D
Takes it a while to get going but, once it's goin', it does tend to "go"....

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »
Kevin there good trucks we have 3 ton trucks on the farm with the cummins in them the oldest one has over 300 thousand miles on it & it's still going.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 03:14:19 pm »
The diesel will accelerate differently than a gas engine so it may be good. Like Pauli/KS said they are no drag racer car. The true test is with a heavy load. That's where you will really notice the difference. The first time I drove a diesel I thought to myself "come on let's go" but, there was nothing wrong with the truck and it towed the heck out of a 22' Triton bass boat. A friend of mine had a 97 cummins and it had no problem running 75+ with a load of cattle.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 03:18:31 pm »
Well, this gives me hope. Im picking it up in a week, been saving uo for it, so hopefully its not wasted money, and time. I know absolutely nothing about these trucks other than basic principles of operation and theory.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 05:36:36 am »
I have a 2002 Dodge Cummins. No problem with the engine. It has 233,000 miles. An area you will spend a lot of time and money is the front end. Dodge never redesigned or beefed up the suspension components to account for the weight of the Cummins. Parts go out about yearly it seems like.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 08:03:11 am »
I have a 2002 Dodge Cummins. No problem with the engine. It has 233,000 miles. An area you will spend a lot of time and money is the front end. Dodge never redesigned or beefed up the suspension components to account for the weight of the Cummins. Parts go out about yearly it seems like.

+1  I have a 2001 diesel with a 5.9 Cummings that has close to 300,000 miles still runs great with a lot of pulling power.  But like what was mention in previous post front ends are not that great.  I’m constantly replacing ball joints. 
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 08:23:57 am »
Good to know. I have a 2000 dodge 1500 and had to do its ball joints. Its past time for them again. Im picking up my truck today.

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:32 pm »
Hey Sleek better check those brake lines real good. There prone to rust in two bad.